Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

bolted connections with solid elements

ice_man

Hello guys:

Does anybody know if we can simulate bolted connections in an assembly with all solid elements.

Thank you.

Cheers

Yes you can. but why would you want to model the bolted connection with solid elements?

This is what I have done with acceptable results: Create a small separation between the mating parts; then, I use a rigid link between the opposite edges of the holes, making sure that I pick the twoedegs on each hole for the rigid link.

This techinque provides a load path, for modal analysis works beatifully. However, if what you want to address is the bolt itself, then you have to model it. I recently had to determine the stresses on the threads of an ACMEbolted connection; I had no other choice but to model the bolted connection with solid elements and a with very accurate representation of the ACME thread profile.

There is also the possibility of modeling a bolted connection with pre-load included using static and thermal combined. I have also used contact analysis. You can do almost anything on a bolted connection. Yes, using solid elements

What you do depends on what is the purpose of your simulation, namely, creating a load path or studying the bolted connection itself.

I hope this helps.

Guillermo

Thank you, Guillermo. That's a good piece of information.

I understand we can do that, but was just curious to know if we can do that by using a single button/icon click feature, like the welded connection in shell models.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back