Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Right way to model airplane, car, boat

Spelling
Super Galeb was having FBW? I didn't know that, from what manufacture you are implementing FBW in it? was it manufactured in EX Yugoslavia?
BTW what happened with that aircraft facility you worked in (I believe it was Soko)?

I believe what Miko was saying that he model just a concept airplane and that concept was manufactured in scale to be able to show potential client. If client would be interested in that concept then it would launch whole airplane build process.

Sorry for name mistakes, but my IE Spell checker fixed it automatically
smiley2.gif

I'm not sure that FBW is not expensive, because I think that it is written for every plane separately because not all planes have the same flight behavior.
As for optical cables in G4 this is I assume only for weapons targeting system, FBW is something else.
Now you will tell me that G4 will have Vector thrust
smiley36.gif

design3d

Modeling Mustang would be a nice, it is popular plane and you should easy find a lot of documentation. Keep it good learning and you be model airplanes in no time
smiley2.gif

Now I think that my first airplane model would be Me 163, because it is smaller plane and not so complicated as Me 109.
I'll post images when I make something.

Hey thanks Isair, it is definately a long term project, I just need to get some more Wildfire/Surfacing training, but I am working on that with a prospective new job! Good luck on your Me 163, don't you think it is a bad idea to knickname a plane with rocket fuel as a Komet?
smiley4.gif
I watched a show that talked about those planes, even refueling them was incrediebly dangerous. They are cool looking planes though! Can't wait to see it.

Isair said:
design3d

Modeling Mustang would be a nice, it is popular plane and you should easy find a lot of documentation. Keep it good learning and you be model airplanes in no time
smiley2.gif

Now I think that my first airplane model would be Me 163, because it is smaller plane and not so complicated as Me 109.
I'll post images when I make something.

design3d
You are right, Komet is a bad idea for plane name (but I think that they have implied to speed of komet), as there are a lot of bad names for planes, for instance British Meteor, or me 262 Swallow
smiley2.gif

I was reading about Me 163, that fuel was so toxin that pilots was having health problems. Just sitting near fuel tank was causing hair drops and other health difficulties.

The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum is a source for blueprints of historical aircraft. I don't know how large the catalog is, but I met a guy who wanted to build a Boeing P26a. He had a full set of photographic negatives of the original blueprints that he had obtained there. Though it was not free.

Isair said:
Ok I see that many ppl here are modeling cars, boats, and airplanes. I know that many of them are doing that just for their own pleasure, but I want to know which is the best way to create this kind of models.
My passion are airplanes so I got idea to create model of ww2 German airplane.

My first intent was to find somewhere on Internet real blueprints of all parts of the plane and then models all parts and assembled them to final model (well that went down when I realize that there aren't any free blueprints and it was hard enough to find any blueprint, and not whole ones to create complete replica of plane).

Then I realize that I can put images in surfaces and then draw curves over them to create geometry.
Now I'm asking you guys what is the best (easiest way) to create model either of airplane or car or boat. I have seen models of James and Cpiotorwski and I know that you guys know how to do it so I'm asking for tips on that field.

@gkbeer

Yes I know, I have come a cross on their web site, and yes you can purchase blueprints, but there are several limitations;

1. you can purchase only in USA, the rest of the world doesn't exist
2. you can use this blueprints only for models, and personal research, and it is strongly permitted to build replicas and real airplanes based on this blueprints (probably because of law it is limited to buy only in USA)
3. if I remember correctly they wanted 5$ per blueprint, and for every and each one part, its a lot of money

ok there are solutions for this problems, I could ask someone from US to purchase for me blueprints, and I really don't need blueprint for every part, but I have found books in which are good blueprints of several most famous airplanes from ww1 and ww2:

The Best of Wylam

Sorry for posting in an old topic, but i was wondering if this type of modeling is possible in the Wildfire 3.0 schools edition. Thanks for your help.

Yes old topic... worthy of review...

I would like to point out, as a designer of aircraft, that very few surfaces on a plane are "Artsy" or "Style" prone... the surfaces are specific and formulated. Wing Fillets and certain curved surfacesaround inlets are about the only Non-explicit surfaces on a plane. And even these are generally confirmed by CFD....(Though I can not comment on 1940's planes)

Nearly every surface is specifically dictated by aerodynamics compromised with internal structure and manufacturability. Cabin interiors and other Ergo-centric parts may indeed utilize "Style" type creation as asthetics play a significant role.

confirmed by CFD....(Though I can not comment on 1940's planes)

Process is always the top discussion in the office next to motorcycles and racing. The process to compete in the Air Campaign in ww II was to ...

FIRST WAY: design, build, fly, interpret results, modify, build, and fly fly again. lots of Thomas Edison Method goings on here. And lots of back and forth.

It has changed now to
SECOND WAY: design, CFD, interpret results, modify, CFD, confirm, build, fly.

Even tho the modern way has more steps I think the 1st way is still more expensive compared to CFD costs.

Edited by: design-engine

> SECOND WAY: ...

That gets you to prototype first flight.
Then you fly, modify, fly, modify ...
Concurrently full scale static testing is being done
which will probably result in additional modifications.
Production articles will be on the line by this time.
Fatigue testing goes on longer. Mods and / or envelope
limiations will probably be put on delivered airplanes.
It's still a drawn out process.

jeff4136 said:
> SECOND WAY: ...

That gets you to prototype first flight.
Then you fly, modify, fly, modify ...
Concurrently full scale static testing is being done
which will probably result in additional modifications.
Production articles will be on the line by this time.
Fatigue testing goes on longer. Mods and / or envelope
limiations will probably be put on delivered airplanes.
It's still a drawn out process.

You guys forgot wind tunnel....

Am working B787 and wind tunnel still used.

Quality of CFD is user dependent - GIGO - too dangerous to trust on it's own.

Too many rookies think they know everything....
Edited by: dougr

How do they go about the initial design process before moving to testing with wind tunnels, models ect? Do they just sketch something up, model it with CAD, and use vague dimensions?

Inferno said:
How do they go about the initial design process before moving to testing with wind tunnels, models ect? Do they just sketch something up, model it with CAD, and use vague dimensions?

They use paper napkins.

jeff4136 said:
Good point, and a glaring omission that was.
Wind tunnel models are just awesome, themselves.

Interesting thing is that wind tunnel testing and structural testing is being done more tocalibrate/verfify CFD and FEA models rather than to predict stuff in actual operation- now this is smart...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back