Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

5-axis tutorials / sample files?

marker4x4

Hiall good people, how are you.

I wonder if anyone can recommend / share good tutorials on 5-axis milling. Any tips? Tricks? Things to watch for and avoid? All the good stuff.

We're on WF3 if that matters and the machine that we're buying is a double-trunnion MIKRON.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

EDIT: Yes, I know that the official tutorials are quite lame, but if someone has some non-proprietory MFG assemblies with some 5-axis cuts in them and willing to share - that'd be most helpful. I can learn most stuff just by seeing how's been done.
Thanks
Edited by: marker4x4

smiley17.gif

Hi,
When I became involved with Proe/NC (a former mastercam user)Iwasn't used to the seemingly extensive learning curve. I tried a tutorial from www.proetutorials.com and everything clicked. It was specific to 3 axis machining.They might have a 5 axis tutorial bynow. Anyway, if you are relatively new to proe manufacturing, this tutorialgot me up and running in a couple of days. I now use it as a reference. Good stuff!
Good luck,
Schramowski

Hi,

I haven't seen any tutorials other than the PTC webcasts and demos. The webcasts and other PTC propaganda are good for understanding what can be done, butnot necessarily how to do it in detail. I started with Pro MFG 5 axis and a new 5 axis machine in the same week. So far getting the program to make a toolpath in 5 axis hasn't been too difficult.

The biggest diffferences that I am aware of between 3 and 5 axis are retract moves or lack thereof and the differences in drilling in 5 axis.

What I have found is thateven thoughI can machine in 5 axis simultaneous, it is often much more efficient (progamming time and cutting time) to use 3+2 and even 4 axis.

If you haven't seen it, 3+2 can easily be done by creating a retract plane and coordinate system for angle you want to work at, then selecting those for the nc sequence in question. Program should then post all #s from the same work coordinate set in operation. No more multiple work offsets at the machine.

Hope this helps some. I know its been a longroad for us.

sduffy said:
If you haven't seen it, 3+2 can easily be done by creating a retract plane and coordinate system for angle you want to work at, then selecting those for the nc sequence in question. Program should then post all #s from the same work coordinate set in operation. No more multiple work offsets at the machine.

Yeah, that's what we've been doing for all our 4axis work... we just set XYZ Zero on the center of the tombstone and program everything from there; just creating new CSYS (rotated from the origin) whenever needed. Quite simple indeed and it codes well.
The trouble is, there's much more to 5axis than that... I can hack most of it, but not all. Properly applied lag and tilt angles, lead-in's and out's, corner "fanning", etc., that's what I'm having trouble with.
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

Thanks anyway

Hi Marker

I've setup and used Pro/E Complete Machining for full 5 axis interpolation programming on a couple of machining centres. I've also programmed stuff to run on a 3+1 and 3 axis.

Complete Machining is great. Gives you complete freedom to design and manufacture however you want. What is very important though is the quality of your post. Both of which we had custom developed specifically for machines/applications. Poor post=less control=bang!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back