Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

5 axis pocket milling

appinmi

For love nor money, I cannot get a tool to profile the pockets, colored in green. I have tried 4 & 5 axis profiling, and even 4 axis surfacing with the tool tilted, but it will not cut the end radii at all.

View attachment 2166

I have attached a manufacturing assembly file that is all set up with the part, 5 axis workcell,a 1/8 ballnose mill, and a 1/4 ballnosemill. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2006-04-22_140657_allan.zip

I am using Wildfire 1

Allan,

I do not have Wildfire1.0 so I down rev'd to pro2001 by creating a step file from your model. Two tool paths were used. Swarf milling to rough the walls and Traj 5axis 2 contour using tool height by select. (surface) to finish the bottom surfaces. Only did one third of the model. You can pattern thencsequence for the other two areas.

Hope this helps.

Dave2006-04-23_172435_alan-5axis-example.zip

appinmi said:
For love nor money, I cannot get a tool to profile the pockets, colored in green. I have tried 4 & 5 axis profiling, and even 4 axis surfacing with the tool tilted, but it will not cut the end radii at all.

View attachment 2169

I have attached a manufacturing assembly file that is all set up with the part, 5 axis workcell,a 1/8 ballnose mill, and a 1/4 ballnosemill. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2006-04-22_140657_allan.zip

I am using Wildfire 1

appinmi said:
I have tried 4 & 5 axis profiling, and even 4 axis surfacing with the tool tilted, but it will not cut the end radii at all.

Allan,

I haven't try to work on your model, but if memory serves me right, in 5ax. Profile try to switch Gouge_Avoid_Type to TipOnly. That along with nice approach (eg. along Axis) should do the trick.

IHIH

I gave this toolpath a go and also got gouges.

But by utilizing axis def. in 5 axis traj. milling You would be able to get no gouges.

Also in lower right and chorner of pocket the transition is from chorner to walls is not tangent It would need to be for clean toolpath!

I started to do all of this and I could not even create axis through cylinder ?

It would be time consuming I do not have the time right now.

You would need to add axis definitions to endpoints of lines and arcsand use a tangent curve or entities to drive toolpath.

Also 2 curve option would work but again must have clean geometry to create the curves.

Maybe another solution also is to remove raduis in bottom of pocket I have seen this mess things up in the past!

Mace

I had to "duplicate" our customers model. It has a "full" round at the ends. Since it is not at the same angle as the "revolve" portion, for some reason, Proe decided that this is not a "cylinder", therefore no axis can be put on it.

After talking to the customer, this cut is achieved by position the tool witha positive "X" value, and while rotating the 4th axis, move the tool to a negative "X" value. I can get the two cylinders at the correct location on the ends, but cannot get a surface or cut to connect them. Any ideas?

I remodeled the pocket using swept cut.

I do not have Drawling so I cant be sure of Geometry,So maybe blend cut or another may suit your need better !

No raduis in Bottom of pocket!

Create axis through 2 points at all intersections of raduis and sloped walls and it works well .

Use axis (4) for axis defintion up to 8 axis defintions required.

also set tolerance to .00000001 Prof stock allow = .001

A perfect toolpath must be drivin off of perfect Geometry!

Mace

I played with this for a while this morning. First I created a mill surf so I could play with the surfaces if I need to. I did not select the bottom of the mill surf for machining or check on any of my attempts. I added a spherical retract to the operation and started to play.

I tried surface milling - cutline - type helical - closed loops - selected upper loop and lower loop, all I could get was a bunch of lousy toolpaths no matter how I tried using axis def. I then checked the rad. of the surfaces (bottom), the corners have a rad. of .1244 and .1246 (outer). I tried a .1 dia. end mill - still no go.

Then I tried swarf milling. Using a .1244 endmill I was able to get it generate, but at the nontanget areas in the corners ProE wanted to add a pass at the bottom I didn't like no matter what axis def's I used. I could easily split the path and removed the last pass but I wasn't sure what that would do to the cut geom.

I then tried Traj. - two curve, selected the top edges and also the bottom edges of the mill surface and added my sync points. Worked great using a .125 tool. Went to a .25 and no - go. I had to go down to .244 dia. to get it generate but ended up with gouges up .0307 in the corner (tanget problem area).

Would running the two curve traj. sequence give a good part? Probably (depending on the tol.). The tool would generate the rad. and the side surfaces so the gougeshouldn't be an issue. The tool is gouging the model but it should be a clean cut on the part.

I did this in WF2.0. I can post the files if you want them.

Regards,

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back