Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

3D scanned models

daniella

hi,

I am a third year engineering student doing my dissertation on ankle implants. I will be 3D scanning plastic bone models and then do fea analysis on it. apparently one can now do fea in proE 5 and was wondering what format to 3d scan into? stl or iges? anyone able to help me which format is best?

thanks

I think you will have problems running an FEA on STL data as it is tessellated data. I would have thought you'd need to scan in the plastic bone with a point cloud and then build up the surfaces and finally solidify your model.

Yea, PJW is right. The STL data can be brought in and then shrink wrapped to create a solid model but it would better to use a point cloud and build up the surfaces.

I did some work with a doctor trying to convert the STL files into usually data for plastic surgery purposes but we didn't have much luck using ProE.

Daniella, you need a software, Rapidform or Geomagic, to
convert the STL to solid model/native format. The new
version of Rapidform suppose to convert point cloud to ProE
solid model directly with model history. There are a lot
of companies out there who will promise everything but they
are waste of time. You need a lot of money, 100K plus, to
get a good system. Make the model yourself or contact
Direct Dimension and seek mercy. Better yet, ask Rapidform
or Geomagic... Good luck.

Hi Daniella, Simpleware is primarily being used by the medical sector (targeted intent), you could also use netFabb Studio to work on .STL files directly, but if you have access to Rapidform's XOR3 or Geomagic you'd be better off. (Geomagic is easier to learn but not as powerful as XOR3 there are add ons) AutoCAD (just added), Pro/E and SolidWorks do have mesh manipulation functions but (and this is my opinion only) they ar not quite ready for prime time yet. XOR3 has the ability to take mesh/point cloud make a parametric model and "LiveTransfer" directly into SolidWorks, UGS NX, Pro/E Wildfire, and AutoCAD (HINT - keep the modeled features as simple as posible)<br style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"><br style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">Regards,<br style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">-jay-

thank you for all your replies. I only have ANSYS or proE available or any free or trial softwares, as I nor will my university fund a different software. I dont understand much about all of this, the 3D scanner person told me I can either get it in Iges or Stl? Is point cloud usually an option on a simple 3D scanner?

thx

Daniella,

I commonly do this task for a medical company, using actual MRi or C-scanned anatomy. Essentially it is a real pain to remove the point cloud from these scans. Pro-E sells a module for reverse Engineering that does this task. Even without the software you can create a shrinked wrap modedl of the imported STL file and then create a new Pro-E model of which you will be able to cut and or add model features. This is very time consuming though and the easiest way to deal with it is the Rex program.

You an always splice curves sections and then import into a new file and start creating surfaces.

I would verify just what FEA capabilities you will have. I'm pretty sure the free bundled capabilities in WF5 are limited. Just enough to try to sell you on a full featured seat. I expect you will only be able to do a limited analysis on a single part, not an assembly model.

Eharmony, can you explain more about the shrink wraped model i can turn into a solid proE model? I was going to use MRI scans, but sadly the one I got was apparently not detailed enough to give me good models of the bones i need...

Dr_Gallup I have ANSYS which should be good enough for what i want to do I hope.

If I recall correctly IGES doesn't support tessalated data so I guess it will only be points.
I doubt whether the software of the 3D scanner has converted it to B-spline / NURBS surfaces.

Best regards,

John Bijnens

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back