Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

3d dimensioning

jelston

Does anyone use 3d dimensioning on shop drawings? To be more specific, does any use dimensioned 3-d views for production?

Jelston,

Gotta say never, never, never to that one......except as a reference dim. All dims for a part/assembly must be on the orthographic views.

(I think the best way to look at it is the more you spread your dims around a drawing, the more likely it is that they will get confused/forgotten/ignored)

Kev

No. For simple parts you could use these, but for slightly complicated parts it can be confusing (just my opinion).

Hmm I just remember, I used 3d dimensioning once for a pneumatic piping way. But just some general dimensions on a 3d view to give them an idea of what the piping should look. Because I didn't care so much about the length of the piping.

I'd like to but don't except for 'special' purposes. As of WF2 creating,
manipulating, managing 3d annotations just ain't mature enough. I do hope
ISO 16792 / Y14.41 has enough impetus to drive development.

Hi,

I agree with Kev. 3D dimensions are used only as reference dimensions in drawings.

(For presentations, we can use 3D dimensions.)

Shankar

hi,

Actually, 3D dimensing used to show the overall size of that component for manufacturing point of view.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back