Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

3D CATIA IGES to ProE

marker4x4

I wonder if someone could share ProE settings for importing CATIA_generated (both V4 and V5) IGES 3D files.
We've been always having problems bringing them in... in most cases all we get is bunch of cylindrical surfaces (holes) and odd faces here and there. We have t ouse third party software to re-&-re the files...... Real PITA.

I appreciate any advice, thanks

Hi,

Importing CATIA files is not just a matter of configuring some options within Pro/E.

There are several things you have to take into consideration.
Do you want to do a transfer using an intermediate file format like e.g. IGES or STEP or do you want to use a direct translator which is available I believe within Pro/E if you have some special modules. I thought these modules were meant for CATIA v4 and required you to have CATIA and Pro/E running on the same machine. I have never used these so perhaps someone with more experience with these modules could help to explain things a bit.

If you want to use an intermediate file format like e.g. IGES or STEP things are not so simple as most people think. It is not a matter of pressing the export button in CATIA and the import button in Pro/E.
If you have to import CATIA v4 files be aware that CATIA v4 uses a different mathematical method than most current CAD-systems. The shapes you create within CATIA v4 are if I recall it correctly formed with B

In all type of CAD data translation, there are losses, some may be minor and others major. Which may be loss of some fillets, surfaces, wrinkling of surface or the CAD software may not even be able to read the imported IGES or STEP file.
Instead of designer sitting on these models and trying to heal them, many prefer to start making a new model from scratch. What I don't realize is, when there are Data translation software's available in market, why are people not using them.
for example CAD doctor by ELYSIUM is a wonderful software, which can heal the data in no time and the out put is a SOLID MODEL, which can be further edited in any of the native CAD software available.

[email protected]

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back