Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Relationalship Design

red1

I worked at the Boeing facility (Everett)for a time, 787.

They are all geared around the relationalship design side of catia. ie.

interfaces, points, vectors, faces surfaces common to parts are

placed within RLM (inner company design) and IRM, (between 'risk' sharing

partners and Boeing) files. They are a real bitch to maintain, ala enovia.

The whole effort is extreme and hardly value added....just to keep manager fears down on managing changes. It is, IMHO a worthless piece of ......

I've seen the design errors that come about due to changes that aren't realized by all the design factions, but nothing to justify the complicated structure for "relationalship design" aka the great boeing debacle

Ialso worked at Boeing in Everett on the 787 project.

Their design methods and processes werenot perfect, but IMHOa very practical and beneficial way to simultaneously design multiple aircraft with a world-wide workforce.Without relational design, how else could they communicateadesign change (that could affect hundreds of parts) as quickly and efficiently.

IMHO, theENOVIA, CATIA, and DELMIA training was too little and too late (at least at Boeing)when I was there 3 years ago, but I know they were working on improving that.

nappie said:
Ialso worked at Boeing in Everett on the 787 project.

Their design methods and processes werenot perfect, but IMHOa very practical and beneficial way to simultaneously design multiple aircraft with a world-wide workforce.Without relational design, how else could they communicateadesign change (that could affect hundreds of parts) as quickly and efficiently.

IMHO, theENOVIA, CATIA, and DELMIA training was too little and too late (at least at Boeing)when I was there 3 years ago, but I know they were working on improving that.

The design changes would be coordinated as usual, through change boards with all applicable engineering listed within the document.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back