Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

3 Axis Profile, Surface milling

Try this method.

If the ball mill will run down the center of the groove in a single pass use trajectory. In Customize /Automatic Cut / Sketch / sketch a line on the retract plane that follows the center line of the groove. Select the Cut / Height option, and use "Select". Pick the surfaces that the tool should be tangent to. Define two more Automatic Cuts to mill the next two grooves using the same method as the first groove.

Pattern the nc sequence to machine the other grooves.

When you do surface milling it will give you line segments not arcs.
That is because most machineS/controllers are only capable of doing circular interpolation in either the xy, xz or yz plane.
I think in your case the surface milling is a good option. Just make sure you set your tolerance to a small amount so it will output small segments. Also play with your stepover and scallop height.
Group it and then patter it.
If you want the tool to go beyound the surface you could set the overtravel to 1/2 the dia of your tool.

Trajectory would be another option as dbrainsky said. In customize I would pick edge and try the fit option. This should make a pass right down the middle of you 'cut'.

I think even if you do it as a trajectory it will give you line segments only .

Thanks for the responses. We're going to try the surface milling and see how it compares with our standard way.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back