Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Copying Large Assemblies

MachineMike

Hello all,

I am working on a project that requires a lot of copying and reusing of large assemblies. When I do a Save As there are always some parts within the assembly that require them to be copied to a new name. That is fine because I am going to change them anyway, but when it copies parts to a new name it will not copy the drawings even though the Copy Drawings box is checked. This is making my life difficult and it is very time consuming. I am using Creo2 with Windchill. I cannot copy in Windchill since nothing is checked in, and I cannot check in due to some internal issues that need to be fixed (it is a long story). Does anybody have any tips?

Thanks, Mike

This will be painful for a large assy but it will work. Open every drawing of every part or assy that has to be renamed. Then do RENAME IN SESSION of both the models and their drawings. This creates new objects that are in memory only and does not change anything on disk. Then save all the new models and drawings and you have in fact copied everything. If there are a lot of new things, you will not be able to have an open window for every one but as long as they are in session you can do this. You probably want to have a printed out BoM so you can get every object.

The the Copy Drawings functionality only works if the model and drawing have exactly the same name, something we never do.

This will be painful for a large assy but it will work. Open every drawing of every part or assy that has to be renamed. Then do RENAME IN SESSION of both the models and their drawings. This creates new objects that are in memory only and does not change anything on disk. Then save all the new models and drawings and you have in fact copied everything. If there are a lot of new things, you will not be able to have an open window for every one but as long as they are in session you can do this. You probably want to have a printed out BoM so you can get every object.

The the Copy Drawings functionality only works if the model and drawing have exactly the same name, something we never do.

Thanks for the response. What I did was essentially what you described. I opened the assembly and did a Rename. Then I went through the parts as needed to change, and again I opened the part and drawing into session and changed the name. It wasn't totally efficient, but it was better than what I was doing. Part of the reason I had a lot of difficulty was I did know how many parts I was changing until I got into the design as there were also shared parts, when I could make them work. Thanks again.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back