Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Extract or create frm format file from existing drw drawing file

EddyVE

Hi all,

Working with WildFire 5.0.
I have an existing drawing (drw) file that I didn't create myself. So I do not have the drawings format (frm) file.
I now need to create more drawings that have the same format file.
What is the easiest way to create a new frm file, given a drw file with the format that I want to use?

I was hoping that there was a 'save as frm' option in the 'Save a Copy' function, but apparantly that was hoping for too much ...

What I tried was to create a new frm file from scratch, and copy 'everything' from the drw to the frm. Unfortunately, this only copied the graphical elements, basically only the lines. I also need the text and parameter boxes .....

Thanks already for any suggestion you might have.

Kind regards
Eddy

If you can see the format file elements in the drawing you must have access to it. Open files in memory/formats and it should be there. If not then maybe the drawing does not actually have a format? I once worked for a company that just stuck a big symbol in their drawings that had all the format elements. In that case just save the symbol to disk. If worse comes to worse, you can always save the drawing to dxf and import the dxf into a new format file.

What I did so far:
- create a new frm file
- copy the 'static' elements from the drawing (lines and fixed texts). Text stored in a frm file is static and can not be edited.
- the header is a table with dynamic text boxes. I need to recreate this from scratch because apparantly, dynamic texts on the frm file (that need to be edited on the actual drawing) have to be cells in a table.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back