Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Modeling Spiral Corrugations on a Helically Coiled Tube

Andrew Fsadni

I am trying to model a spiral corrugated wall on a helically coiled tube. I would appreciate some help :confused:

An image of the design concept is attached.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Helical Tube_Corrugations.jpg
    Helical Tube_Corrugations.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 11
If you got a curve in the centre of your spiral cord, then you can use Sweep (VSS) to do a helical surf that intersects with the outside of the tube. Then create a intersectcurve and use that intersect curve to do a sweep that will cut you groove.

//Tobias

Hey, i found a tutorial for you! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXYoUdE6eSg

Anyway, as i said, first make sure you got a curve in the centre of your spiral/spring/tube, then sweep with an equation (that can be seen at 3.50 in the youtube clip) to get your intersectcurve, then instead of sweeping a circle to make a spring, just use it to cut instead.

(and well, if you dont have a curve in the centre of your spiral, if possible, just make your first spiral using the same techniqe ;-) )

//Tobias

Hi Tobbo,

Many thanks for your help. I can see the logic underpinning the methodology as shown in the youtube video. However, I am stuck at the stage where the center line through the coil should be constructed. Essentially, I tried to do this by developing a new helical sweep (with profile and pitch dimensions identical to the original helically coiled tube) and I tried to define the section as a point. However, I am stuck at this stage as ProE prompts me to select a geometrical entity rather than a point. Hence, would you know how to overcome this problem?

Andrew

Hi Tobbo,

Many thanks for your help. I can see the logic underpinning the methodology as shown in the youtube video. However, I am stuck at the stage where the center line through the coil should be constructed. Essentially, I tried to do this by developing a new helical sweep (with profile and pitch dimensions identical to the original helically coiled tube) and I tried to define the section as a point. However, I am stuck at this stage as ProE prompts me to select a geometrical entity rather than a point. Hence, would you know how to overcome this problem?

Andrew

Hi, i´m not sure of how you did your sweep, so please post some pictures!

But... If you create the "tube" using the method I suggested using sweep feature (NOT "helical sweep" feature) then you autmatically have your centre curve for your "groove" in the tube.

So, start by looking at the youtube video and create a helical sweep in that way. (sweep feature and an equation)

Then , create a new sweep feature (using the same method) that uses the centrecurve for the first created sweep as origin and it should work.

//Tobias

Hi Tobias, Many thanks for your response. I tend to see your reasoning. However, I am stuck again as I understand that you are suggesting that the actual tube should be constructed as a sweep using an equation. What I do not understand is how to draw the starting point for the trajectory. I mean in the video it is a line which is swept round the tube. But if we are starting from scratch (modelling the tube) then how can I start defining the coil trajectory. Sorry for the seemingly basic question, but I am still confused!

Andrew

Hi Tobias, Many thanks for your response. I tend to see your reasoning. However, I am stuck again as I understand that you are suggesting that the actual tube should be constructed as a sweep using an equation. What I do not understand is how to draw the starting point for the trajectory. I mean in the video it is a line which is swept round the tube. But if we are starting from scratch (modelling the tube) then how can I start defining the coil trajectory. Sorry for the seemingly basic question, but I am still confused!

Andrew

No problem!

Instead of me trying to explain how to do the first tube, please have a look at the first 3 minutes in Leo greens video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4R8kQh3bos&t=374s

So, basically first create a swept surface that revolves, and use the end of the surface as trajectory for you tube sweep.

When you have created your tube using this method then DO the same thing once more, and use the "edge of the revolved surface" (i.e the same curve you used for center of your tube) as trajectory for a new revolved surface. This revolved surface will intersect the tube, and if you create an "intersect curve" between the revolved surface and the tube. you can now use this curve for your groove.

Start by making the tube. Once you know how to do that, i think the rest will sort out. Please upload pictures of your progress, it´s much easier to help that way.

//Tobias

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back