Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

stereolithography, sla, 3D printers

ivan sosa

Good day everyone.
The shop I work for is trying to add the service of 3d printing for prototypes on new products for our customers. I must say this is new to all of us. This has us wondering if there are “serious” 3D printers out there to consider. I must confess I want to take experience on other peoples knowledge, successes and failures … Does any one of you have hands on experience on one of these 3D printers? I mean the range of prices are so wide from a few hundred dollars to the few thousands up to may be tens of thousands of dollars.
The other thing is that the first client that may require our services has as a priority the scanning of parts they do not have model nor drawings or blueprints. -Someone does this for them but they want to cut costs.- So on top of it all we have to consider if the 3D scanning systems some of these machines come with are reliable to the level of mechanical engineering drafting or we have to consider 3rd party scanners..
So I would like to read from you if you have any input on these topics.
Regards.

Why choose Stereolithography?

When you need a part printed yesterday and delivered right now, Stereolithography is what you want to be looking at. It’s a http://vexmatech.com/samples.html 3d printing technology that produces great looking models with impeccable surface quality in no time. At Materialise, we’ve also developed our own patented Mammoth Stereolithography machines that let us build and ship parts in less than a day. And they even give you the freedom to 3D print parts up to 2 meters long in a single build.

Ideal applications for Stereolithography

Visual prototypes for photo shoots and market testing
“Show and tell” parts with smooth surfaces and fine details
Prototypes for limited functional testing
Masters for copying techniques such as Vacuum Casting
Alternatives for sheet metal prototypes when coated with a metal plating process
Patterns for investment casting
Low-volume production of complex geometries

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back