Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Project Surface

geertdaenen

Hi guys,

I'm trying to have a 3D-surface projected on a datum-plane. I have a 3D surface with "undercutting", and I like to have the outlines of the part without the undercutting. Maybe a screenshot of the top view makes it a bit more clear.

Is there anybody who can help me with this?

I've already tried somethings, such as "sketch", but the outline of the part isn't selectable as a reference...

Attachments

• 3D surface screenshot 1.jpg
    3D surface screenshot 1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 3D surface screenshot 2.jpg
    3D surface screenshot 2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 18
Hi Tobias,

thanks for your reply. So there must be a function called "Silhouette curve" or "Silhouette cut". Can you give me a clue how to do this? I don't know where to look for it.
(We are working with Creo Parametric 3.0., without mold-design-functionallity).

Last edited:
Seems like PTC removed that feature? (someone oldschool might help out here, but i recall there was a function for creating a silhouette curve in earlier releases?) Anyway, What probably could be done is to create a "splitlinecurve" using trim, then project that curve onto a plane. Its done by copying all the outside geometry (copy- solid surfs), then trim using the silhouette function, then creating a approximate curve by using all the edge of the trimmed surf. and at last, project the newly created curve onto the plane you want...

//Tobias

OK........ , not really clear...
Is there a chance that I can send you the part and that you can show me with this file how to do this?

Hi Tobias,

here you can donwload the file: https://we.tl/DaJeNXIwvB

You will see the feature "COPIED_SURFACE" with the undercut.
I was trying to have the "silhouette curve" in the feature "BLOCK". But I don't know how to do this.

Thanks for your time!

I'm still on WF3 and 4. Silhouette curve back then was in the tool design package that allowed you to split mold parts out. Unless you have a very simple part you use the silhouette curve to construct your parting line geometry. In a simple part it is your parting line - usually when it's obvious and you don't need the help. Silhouette curve disappears when there is a no draft surface and on complex surfaces there are often gaps between curve segments. I usually use the segments to construct one surface extruding a spline - that way there are no transitions between surfaces and it is much cleaner when it comes to putting a tool path to it.

Thanks for the "old school" compliment Tobias. I started on version 16. I'm delighted to stay with WF. Some would call me a dinosaur, but I don't see enough real improvements for my purposes to completely relearn the software.

Last edited:
I'm still on WF3 and 4. Silhouette curve back then was in the tool design package that allowed you to split mold parts out. Unless you have a very simple part you use the silhouette curve to construct your parting line geometry. In a simple part it is your parting line - usually when it's obvious and you don't need the help. Silhouette curve disappears when there is a no draft surface and on complex surfaces there are often gaps between curve segments. I usually use the segments to construct one surface extruding a spline - that way there are no transitions between surfaces and it is much cleaner when it comes to putting a tool path to it.

Thanks for the "old school" compliment Tobias. I started on version 16. I'm delighted to stay with WF. Some would call me a dinosaur, but I don't see enough real improvements for my purposes to completely relearn the software.

I wish that I could go back to WF4! After several years of using Creo 2, 3, and now 4, WF4 is superior in most instances.
There are some nice features in Creo, but not enough to make up for the disappointments.

@moldman, thanks for the info! And yeah, i´m oldschool too since i started on verison 17 , but now i´m on creo 3.0 and i´m happy about it.

Anyway, back to the Geertdaenens question.

Try this : Take a copy of your "coiped surf feature" by placing "insert here" right below the "extend 2" feature . Perform the copy by clicking on the "copied surf" in the drawing window, move away with the mouse, and back onto the surf again, and click the surf so the surf becomes RED. Do a "copy paste" simply by "ctrl-c and the ctrl-v" and now you got a new copy of the "copied surf feature".

Now, HIDE the "copied surf feature", by selecting it in the modeltree and rightclick - hide (this way you wont modify your original surf)

Click on the "copy surf feature " you just created in the modeltree, then click "TRIM" and choose "FRONT" as you ref for trimming. Then, ( here is the most important thing) click the icon , at the right next to the arrows and you will preform a silhouette trim of the surf, whit respect to the "front" plane. (and done)

Now, edit definition on your "Block" feature, go into the sketch and now you can use the edge from the trimmed surface as reference for you sketch. In this way, i SUPPOSE this is what you want, since the trimmed surf dont have any undercuts.

please note that in the text above, there is a different between "copIED surf feature" and the "copY surf feature".

//Tobias

to find the silhouette you can trim the quilt, or a copy of it with the datum plane in the directory you want the silhouette and pick trim quilt using silhouette option.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back