Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

The Placment Panel in the component placement ribbon is missing

Hi All,

A few days ago I found out that when you are in the assembly Component Placement Ribbon you can un-dock the menu panels. I thought "hey this is cool, this thing always covers up my datum planes and I have to hide/unhide it." Great day right? Wrong.

Now when ever I try to edit or assemble a part I can't see the placement panel. I have no idea how to find it.

http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/95528/en/4576_QRC_Card_V5_EN_Pgs.pdf

Update: Our CAD admin thinks it might be something in my config.pro. Attaching it for reference.

!-------------------------------------------------------------------
!lindejos Mapkeys and Configs 20160531
!-------------------------------------------------------------------
mapkey gwb ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `appl_casc`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `appl_menu.left_pane.app_help_casc`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `appl_casc`;~ Command `ProCmdRibbonOptionsDlg` ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `ribbon_options_dialog` `PageSwitcherPageList` 1 `colors_layouts`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Open `ribbon_options_dialog` `colors_layouts.Color_scheme_optMenu`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `ribbon_options_dialog` `colors_layouts.Color_scheme_optMenu`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `ribbon_options_dialog` `colors_layouts.Color_scheme_optMenu` 1 `2`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `ribbon_options_dialog` `OkPshBtn`;
mapkey hh ~ Timer `UI Desktop` `UI Desktop` `popupMenuRMBTimerCB`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `rmb_popup` `PopupMenu`;~ Activate `rmb_popup` `HideFeat_PushBtn`;
mapkey $F10 %dwg;
mapkey uu @MAPKEY_LABELunhide object;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `PHTLeft.AssyTree` 1 `node3`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ RButtonArm `main_dlg_cur` `PHTLeft.AssyTree` `node3`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ PopupOver `main_dlg_cur` `ActionMenu` 1 `PHTLeft.AssyTree`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Open `main_dlg_cur` `ActionMenu`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Trail `UI Desktop` `UI Desktop` `PREVIEW_POPUP_TIMER` \
mapkey(continued) `main_dlg_w1:pHTLeft.AssyTree:<NULL>`;~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `ActionMenu`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `UnhideFeat_PushBtn`;
mapkey dpo @MAPKEY_LABELtoggle datum planes;~ Command `ProCmdEnvDtmDisp` 0;
browser_limit_to_ie9_mode yes
mapkey md ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `page_Analysis_control_btn` 1;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProCmdNmdTool` 1;
mapkey gbb ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `appl_casc`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `appl_casc`;~ Command `ProCmdRibbonOptionsDlg` ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `ribbon_options_dialog` `PageSwitcherPageList` 1 `colors_layouts`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Open `ribbon_options_dialog` `colors_layouts.Color_scheme_optMenu`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `ribbon_options_dialog` `colors_layouts.Color_scheme_optMenu`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `ribbon_options_dialog` `colors_layouts.Color_scheme_optMenu` 1 `5`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `ribbon_options_dialog` `OkPshBtn`;
mapkey eon @MAPKEY_LABELeverything off normal;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` \
mapkey(continued) `igToolbar_AncestorIGT_IGT_GRP_inh396938342.proe_win|.mcs29658718_mp|select_\
mapkey(continued) all_check` 1;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` \
mapkey(continued) `igToolbar_AncestorIGT_IGT_GRP_inh396938342.proe_win|.mcs29658718_mp|select_\
mapkey(continued) all_check` 0;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` \
mapkey(continued) `igToolbar_AncestorIGT_IGT_GRP_inh396938342.proe_win:casc340798662`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` \
mapkey(continued) `igToolbar_AncestorIGT_IGT_GRP_inh396938342.proe_win:casc340798662`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProCmdNamedViewsGalSelect` `Default`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProCmdEnvShadedEdges` 1;
mapkey stl @MAPKEY_LABELsave as stl;~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `appl_casc`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProCmdModelSaveAs` ;~ Open `file_saveas` `type_option`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `file_saveas` `type_option`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `file_saveas` `type_option` 1 `db_549`;
spin_with_silhouettes yes
skip_small_surfaces no
shade_quality 8
draw_models_read_only no
def_layer layer_copy_geom_feat 00_copy_geom
def_layer layer_cosm_sketch 00_cosm_sketch
def_layer layer_ext_copy_geom_feat 00_copy_geom
proe_memory_buffer_size = 500
step_appearance_layers_groups yes
step_out_material no

It's fairly easy to test if it's something in your config.pro. Either rename it or move it to a different folder where it on't be loaded and try again. If the problem is solved, then it's something in your config. You can then edit your file (make a backup copy first, of course), removing half the entries and try again. If the problem goes away, the bad entry was in the deleted lines, if not, it's in the lines remain. Keep cutting the file in half until you find it.

I'd say it's more likely however, that it's in your creo_parametric_customization.ui file. That's located deep down in your user folders in Windows here:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.Settings​

I don't think that file is really editable, unfortunately. I'd try copying it to a new location and see if that fixes it. If it does, I think you may have to remove it and start over, meaning you'll lose any customizations you've made to the UI since installing Creo.

Hi All,

A few days ago I found out that when you are in the assembly Component Placement Ribbon you can un-dock the menu panels. I thought "hey this is cool, this thing always covers up my datum planes and I have to hide/unhide it." Great day right? Wrong.

Now when ever I try to edit or assemble a part I can't see the placement panel. I have no idea how to find it.

http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/95528/en/4576_QRC_Card_V5_EN_Pgs.pdf

I looked through there and did not find any reference to undocking the placement panel.
How do you do it? Nevermind, figured it out.
I did what you did, tried clicking on where it was, and it disappeared. I then undocked the "move" panel, closed it, and then when I clicked on the original place for "placement", it popped back up.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'd say it's more likely however, that it's in your creo_parametric_customization.ui file. That's located deep down in your user folders in Windows here:

Ahhh, Creo is so powerful and customizable you can make changes and not know how to reverse the changes or find the location of the file (if you even know what file) you need to change!

Found a Fix!

He's linked to a WF5 document, but he didn't say he was in WF5. I didn't think that you could undock dashboard panels until Creo 1.

Hi All,

I am using Creo3 actually. Just updated a few weeks ago (what's with the "improvements" to text fields in drawings...maddening). My suggestion is don't leave panels un-docked if you decide to use this "feature."

I actually found a windows fix: "alt-tab to the window, use Alt+Space, then M, then Arrow key, and then move your mouse."

Source: Bring Misplaced Off-Screen Windows Back to Your Desktop (Keyboard Trick)

Thanks everyone for your time and ideas.

It's fairly easy to test if it's something in your config.pro. Either rename it or move it to a different folder where it on't be loaded and try again. If the problem is solved, then it's something in your config. You can then edit your file (make a backup copy first, of course), removing half the entries and try again. If the problem goes away, the bad entry was in the deleted lines, if not, it's in the lines remain. Keep cutting the file in half until you find it.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.Set tings

I don't think that file is really editable, unfortunately. I'd try copying it to a new location and see if that fixes it. If it does, I think you may have to remove it and start over, meaning you'll lose any customizations you've made to the UI since installing Creo.

I tried backing up the config.pro before I asked here. Fixed the issue on the first startup (before it re-writes a config.pro for you) and the problem was fixed. But as soon as I started it the second time the issue appears again.

I did not look at the ...customization.ui file. I will pass this on to our admin and see if he can track it back to there.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have experienced the same issue and never undock panels now.
Not sure if this is what you are after but to goto Options - Windows Settings - Reset Panels Position and never touch them again. ;-)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back