Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Splines in sketch environment

Yes I agree that the shape of a spline can be controlled by switching to control polygon mode. However, any strong dimension used to define the spline would be lost once you switch this mode. In the Solildworks tutorial, the demonstrator was able to do both the things simultaneously. Also, I could not control the "tension" at any intermediate point and the angle of tangent at any intermediate point on the spline.

I can understand why you would want as much control over your spline as you could possibly get. The more we can constrain and control, the more secure that we feel our model will conform to our expectations.

Having said that, satisfying our immediate expectations isn't always the best route.
Dimensioning only the polygon is just as good and in many cases better than dimensioning the points on the spline. You can ultimately achieve all you want with the polygon, including constraining internal tensions. You can also better control curvature and use equations.

Constraining the entity is nice and probably the only functionality most people will ever need. But if you can use the empty space around the entity to control it, your models just became something much more. You've created everything out of nothing.

I have explained on other forums that this is the reason why the spline tool in SW is so un manageable. It has too much control. If you want more control over a single span spline in creo you simply go into the control vertex mode. to do this evoke a spline in sketcher. Then double click on the spline. There is actually a great workflow we came up with where one can dimension the CV points. Far better than what SW does. Once you get in SW to curve on surface it's a complete fiasco. Imagine how hard it is to explain to developers that they offer to much control. I's like beating a dead horse. Ill have to make a video poking fun at SW to evoke change there. LOL

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back