Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

how to rename family table instance in right and faster way ?

KK_designer

Is there a solution for the following situation:

I wanna to rename all family table instance names that exist in my model tree (of course in session). Is there a option to do so exept to do it regulary "rename it in session" ?

What I tried so far is following:

Open generic model of my instance parts, edit with exel (rename it), and when I return to my main model all instance parts start acting like independet parts with old names. My model was in session all time.

Im talking here about a hundred instance parts.

Also I did it with exportation with text editor, modification and import, I get same results.

Im aware that what Im tring to do, is to "trick" in some way creo model but my goal is to reduce my time that I´ll spend resolving this task. Becouse I got some exel/notebook table ready and up to date for import also.

I notice there is config option to keeping up to date relevante generic model with exel table (exported one, of course).
But in my opinion these keeps only instance values up to date.

Interesting is the when I tried to do rename task inside the family table. Dialog box appear and offers me to rename it in session, rename it in session whitout asking again and to treat renamed instance as new (independet) model.

So it was tickle my curiosity to consider: Is there a maybe config option for it ? Maybe is default option set to create new part when I rename it ??

Im doing this offline the Windchill.

Thank you for your time.

Why are you offline ? If these parts are already checked-in I advise you to do the rename in Windchill at the root directory ( common space ).

Hi canoemike,

Maybe I didnt express my self correct when I´ve used word "offline". For now Im avoiding to work inside PDM from some reasons. You are right, when saying that is the best way for renaming inside the CS. But for now I have only my Creo software. And during the net search I noticed that this could be done inside PDM, but for now I must stay out of Windchill. There will be no need to upload such a generic part in CS what so ever, so it not be in a conflict with PDM.

Thank you

Thank you for your suggestion Mike.

Rename function is available in file tab of Creo, and also I can rename family table instances inside the table (under tool - family table). I´ve renamed some instances in the past through Windchill and results are excellent (as described under those link which you gave me).

When I try to do it without Windchill, here are the steps that I use:
- open assembly
- open generic part
- open tool than family table
- now I import new table (edited by exel or notebook) in .ptd extension which is previous exported from same generic source.
- verified and OK
- now ctrl+A to my assembly....

and those instances (oldnamed) start acting like new parts. And there is no new instance name at all in model tree. But they are present under generic part (in family table).

When I make "standard renaming job", I click on family table row, type new name, verify and OK, and after ctrl+A to my assembly I see new instance names which still belong to generic part. And this is the result that I would like to see in my model tree.

Interesting is next, when I try to edit only value by exel inside family table, I get also expecting result. But if I edit name of the instance, result are as described (through steps up) and I get new "oldnamed" parts.

As I mentioned, this task I´ll do without any PDM help (unfortunately). So here is the only timing issue...

When I try to do it without Windchill, here are the steps that I use:
- open assembly
- open generic part
- open tool than family table
- now I import new table (edited by exel or notebook) in .ptd extension which is previous exported from same generic source.
- verified and OK
- now ctrl+A to my assembly....

I do not see a need for the step (import new table) . Just rename instance in family table , including common name.

Earlier you stated you were offline. Did you mean you are in a stand-a·lone Pro-e session ( No PDMLink ) ??

If you want to upload model and I take a look.

I would like to import table which is previous edited with exel or notebook, becouse I use generic part with hundred instance or more (ex. nuts according to DIN929). So here isnt so necessary to give a reasons (ex. managing table in exel :) ). And here you get some "new dimension" for using this kind of table for later use...
Im working offline with Creo on this (I have possibility to use also PDMlink through Creo). But also I have stand-alone lincense for WF3 and 4, so I can do it "offline" or "with stand-alone Proe session". Of course I would rather use Creo...

I think you may have an issue because the assembly is in ram. Try doing the rename without the asm in session. Also I think you will find a family table with that many instances not very practical . ( Regen time is very long ) One more thing to check is there a nested family table ( a family table of an instance ) ??

Keep it simple - less is more is the phase I use way to much when it comes to Pro-e.

Lets simplified this subject :) , it was my bad to start topic on this way:

Is it possible to import exel table into proe/creo (inside the family table) and get instances with new names inside of generic part ? Is this possible at all, if we take in consideration renaming process ?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back