Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Helical sweep direction

dr_gallup

I have an old family table spring in WF2 that I need to add an instance. One of the things I want to change in the new instance (but not the others) is the direction of the sweep. All the current springs are right hand and I want the new spring to be left hand. I've not figured out how to add this to the family table. I can't even make this show in a drawing to see what Pro/E thinks it is. Does not seem to be a parameter.

I believe this is one if those things that has to he selected during feature creation as it sets up the sketch direction.

I think you are right, I see no way to add it to the family table. I broke it out of the family and changed the hand. It will just have to be assembled manually.

If you are referring to assembling in an upper level assembly.by swapping it out, you can set it up in an interchange and do the same thing.

You would be able to do what you want if the spring generic were created with a datum curve created by an equation. You would create a parameter that controls the direction of the curve and add that to the family table.

You could also add another feature that has the sweep in the opposite direction. Then if the family table, all the present springs would have the original sweep set to yes and the new sweep no, and the new spring would have the original sweep set to no and the new sweep yes. Any additional features must not reference the sweep feature.

You could also add another feature that has the sweep in the opposite direction. Then if the family table, all the present springs would have the original sweep set to yes and the new sweep no, and the new spring would have the original sweep set to no and the new sweep yes. Any additional features must not reference the sweep feature.

That would work but it would be clumsy as there needs to be multiple pitches for the closed ends. The Z equation would get messy trying to account for all the instance variations. I might do it for a new part but don't want to have to completely redefine a bunch of existing production parts and make sure they all work in their various assemblies.

That would work but it would be clumsy as there needs to be multiple pitches for the closed ends. The Z equation would get messy trying to account for all the instance variations. I might do it for a new part but don't want to have to completely redefine a bunch of existing production parts and make sure they all work in their various assemblies.

EDIT: That was the wrong post quoted, meant to reply to moldman.

That would definitely work but again get ugly as all the equations for the pitch in the clockwise sweep would have to be duplicated fro the counterclockwise sweep. It would be much simpler if Pro/E allowed the direction in the family table.

An interchange group is the simplest, cleanest solution.

Last edited:
That would also deviate from the reason for using a family table. The part won't be easily swappable in an upper level assembly without making more features. I agree, pretty clumsy and interchange eliminates the complexity.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back