Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cosmetic Threads.....

Sure, on every threaded hole or shaft with minor exceptions like plastic parts that need to have the thread in the tooling.

Yup, only way you can do external threads. I have hated the interface since day one but it gets the job done.

Okay.... but don't you use the 'hole' tool instead for that stuff?

Never liked the hole tool, too restrictive. I like to use only the simplest features possible. Some of our parts get used and reused for decades. I started with release 2 so I'm hard core old school. For instance, I have a generic metering disk that can have several hundred different hole patterns laser cut into it depending on how much flow and what kind of spray it needs to produce. Every type of hole pattern from a single coaxial straight thru hole to a rectangular pattern of 4 holes making a twin spray or a 6 or 12 hole circular pattern, etc. can all be made from this one generic part. The holes are not made with the hole tool! They start with one revolved cut that has infinite flexibility and can be patterned every which way our laser can cut them. These holes do not get threads but if I needed them I would add them with the cosmetic thread feature.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back