Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What's the largest Creo feature count you've seen?

design-engine

I was at a company last month that claimed to have the largest # of features in a Creo part. They were 10k off. This chair from Herman Miller has the largest I've seen. Over 21k # of features. Check it out. One of my past participants in training did this one w/ their India partner.

Sayl - Office Chair - Herman Miller < just wanted to shake it up some today.

Im in Ohio near the Indiana Boarder this week teaching classes BTW

For a full assy or just a part? I'm working with a few assys now that are 6K-10K features, not sure I've gotten much beyond that.

I have a few parts that have over 20,000 features.
Takes forever for them to re-gen.
I know I have at least one that has 30,000.

I'm working on a part right now with 10000+. The file size is over a gig and counting.
I'm still working on it and it's slow as all get out.
I've got all previous features on Read Only, but that doesn't really seem to help much. Are there any other methods you guys use to get big parts to speed up?

Add a feature on your pattern to a layer. Then suppress by layer. One feature of each pattern can be assigned to a layer then suppress by layer. Fast way to suppress all the patterns. Notice you can resume by layer as well. to add to dross comment above.

Bart, educate me, how is that better or faster than suppressing the pattern?
Seems there is an extra step involved to add the feature to a layer.

dross,

what city are you in? We got to get a beer sometime soon. As for the layer thing. If you have multiple patterns for example. Add one feature from each pattern to a layer. Suppressing by layer lets you catch all those patterns at once. Should save in regen time. Lets you grab more at once.

Ill be presenting Creo 3.0 sheetmetal at the Raleigh & Badgerland Creo conference in November.

I'm in Los Angeles.
I still don't see how adding the features to the layers can possibly take less time than selecting the patterns in the tree and suppressing them.

@Dross , you could have a layer that has a rule so that it automatically add pattern features to it (as soon as you make a pattern, the pattern/features will end up in that layer, you dont have to do anything extra) , in that case you don't have to put a feature from each pattern in it... and so on. So then if you want to suppress all pattern in your model, you just go by that one layer.

If you got a model with 6000 features and let say 50 pattern, i do think it will be faster "the layer way" rather than finding each pattern i the model tree.

//Tobias

I seldom have more than 3 or 4 patterns in a part, so it's not difficult to find them and suppress. My models are probably a bit different than yours. Some of my patterns have over 10,000 features within them while the model might have upwards of 50,000. If I had 50 patterns, it would come to a complete halt.
That being said, what kind of rule would you create? Does it contain only pattern features or feature within the pattern like a protrusion?

Well, I'm actually a surface modeler so the same goes for me, i don't have that many patterns in my models either... Just trying to contribute to the thread/forum :)

I have never seen a model with patterns that contain 10.000 features in them, what kind of products do you work with?

Regarding the rule, i tried to set "look for" - feature , "look by" - feature , "Type" - (value) - pattern" . Then when you create a new pattern, the features of the pattern ends up in that layer.

//Tobias

I typically have 6-15 features in a group that is then patterned resulting in up to 2288 groups of 6-15 features each. There are often reference patterns on these parts too. To speed up re-gen, I just suppress the first pattern, the rest suppress automatically as they are dependent on the first one.

Hi Bart, Thanks! If you click on my signature, you will see a picture of my car that i built back in 2006, ( still driving it.) 0-60mph takes about 4.5 sek. A lot of fun!

//Tobias

Curious what type of products you creating dross? Hi Tobbo. I like your signature ;)

Primarily fixtures used to hold semi-conductor parts while being soldered in a vacuum furnace. The parts being soldered are very small, often less than 20 mils square. They must be held in very precise locations in relation to each other (within 15 microns). Sometimes, there might be 10 different parts being soldered on a copper-moly carrier and the tool might have up to 2288 of these assemblies being made at one time on the tool. The cavities that hold the parts are usually not too complex consisting of 6-15 features with edges as small as 5 microns. This leads to very long re-gen times.

I just tried to put something on a layer and suppress it. Suppress is not available, hide is. Hiding does not improve re-gen times.
If a layer can be suppressed, how do you do it? (CREO 2)

Hiding a layer that a feature is on, like an extrude that I added to the layer does not hide the feature nor suppress it. Seems to do nothing.
Hiding a layer that a component is on in an assembly hides the component, but it still gets regenerated.

when you "click on a layer", all the features in that layer will be highlighted in the model, then you place your mouse in the "sketching area" and then ritghtclick and supress. It´s a workaround, but as you say, you can´t supress a layer.

Bad english there, i know ;-)

//Tobias

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back