Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Variable chamfer with a twist?

Unrealize

I normally try to figure out stuff like this myself, but now I've been working for about 3 full days and I'm stuck, so I hope that some of you will be kind enough to help me.

I am trying to design a guitar, and I need variable chamfers along the edges of it. Now, I have seen the tutorials about making a fillet, using surface loft and the cutting using the surface. Mostly that works just fine for me, but on this guitar I need the chamfer to follow a line on the body, not on the edge. See the screenshots, they will explain better I think.
I have been able to create a surface with surface loft (sometimes) but it folds in really weird ways, and it seems to get 'reference points' that aren't very logic as I see it.

I'm quite new to Solidworks, but I've been stuck on this for so long now, trying to read the help files and searching online, but to no avail.
I can provide the part file of course, if that is needed.

Thank you very much for your attention!

Attachments

• Chamfer-1.jpg
    Chamfer-1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Chamfer-2.jpg
    Chamfer-2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Chamfer-3.jpg
    Chamfer-3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 5
If I understand correctly, you might need to create a swept cut using a line that will either touch, or be tangent with the line on the surface of the instrument that you are showing.

From this line, you can just cut by using the Sweep command, using the edge as your guide curve.

Hope this is indeed what you are trying to do!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back