Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Creo 3.0 and config.win

I'm going to install Creo 3.0 soon, but I have a question regarding settings: all the interface settings (commands and windows customization and so on) were once stored in the config.win file, but now I don't understand where they are saved and how can I "back them up" in case I have to reinstall Creo or do another installation without having to do all customizations again (like shortcut commands on the menu bar etc).

Any idea?

Paolo

config.win is replaced with creo_parametric_customization.ui and is placed in c:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\Common Files\(build - mxxx)\text\
    The only thing the .win is used for now, from what I understand, it to pull out any icons you may have created.

As far as set up, it really should not be any different than what you currently do, except you are pointing to a different place.
    Ron

Great, thank you for the info, I'll check it out as soon as I have Creo 3.0

We no longer use the .win file at all.

All the related info is in the .ui file, including custom icons/buttons.

If you are updgrading from Creo2, you already have a creo_parametric_customization.ui, look in your working directory if you don't find it in the text folder.
    If you find it, copy it somewhere so that Creo3 can find it.

Is it possible to point to a creo_parametric_customization.ui which is located in a different directory? I keep all other config files in a single folder so it's easy to deploy theme wherever needed.

Something strange happens: I don't have creo_parametric_customization.ui in my text folder, but I have one in my starting folder. If I remove that file, Creo starts anyway with the customizations I did to my interface, so there must be another place where these are saved :O

I found that the current copy of the .ui file was in the appdata/roaming folder, so I copied it on the desktop, deleted the file from the appdata/roaming folder, moved the file to my start folder and enable in config.pro the option to load .ui files from startup directory. This worked perfectly so now my .ui config file is in the folder I wanted

The creo_parametric_customization.ui file is not stored in the text folder or the working directory. It is normally stored in the Creo cache, by default I believe that is here:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.Set tings

Additionally, Creo will load it from the install/text or working directory by default. It will store and load it from the working directory if you set the config.pro option load_ui_customization_run_dir to yes. There is no way that I know of to make it load from the text folder.

However, note that Creo writes to this file without telling you. If you add a command to the quick launch folder, Creo saves the creo_parametric_customization.ui file automatically. So, if you set the config.pro option load_ui_customization_run_dir to yes and frequently change your working directory, Creo will create copies of the creo_parametric_customization.ui file in multiple directories as you work.

You can change the location of the Creo cache by setting the Windows environment variable PTC_WF_ROOT.
    Last edited by dgs; 11-11-2015 at 01:33 PM.
    Doug Schaefer | Director of Design and Engineering
    Concept Engineering | Columbus, OH

614.279.8771 | www.conceptengr.com

Quote Originally Posted by dgs View Post
    The creo_parametric_customization.ui file is not stored in the text folder or the working directory. It is normally stored in the Creo cache, by default I believe that is here:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.Set tings
    Yes, that's where I found it. It was mentioned here that it was in the text folder but maybe because someone had it there for some reason. Am I the only one that thinks that customization and configuration files should be somewhere else and not in a mysterious cache folder?

Quote Originally Posted by dgs View Post
    However, note that Creo writes to this file without telling you. If you add a command to the quick launch folder, Creo saves the creo_parametric_customization.ui file automatically. So, if you set the config.pro option load_ui_customization_run_dir to yes and frequently change your working directory, Creo will create copies of the creo_parametric_customization.ui file in multiple directories as you work.
    I have still to check what happens if I do something to the menus, but do you mean Creo will save both in the cache folder and in the run directory if I set that parameter? I'll check it

Paolo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast