Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Thickening a surface imported as stl

garethj

Hello group.

I’ve imported an STL file into Creo 3.0 and as normal it’s come as thousands of polygons which describe the surfaces. I would like to get this part 3D printed so need the mesh to be closed and the whole thing to be shelled to 2mm. Is this the kind of thing that Creo can do?

My experience of solid modelling has let me down!

It's not as easy as 1 2 3 and depending upon the complexity of the meshed geometry it's not terribly hard to create yourself a 3d surface model then solid model of the geometry. It is presumed that you want to later modify that geometry from the mesh then get a prototype then modify the geometry and get another prototype again. Unfortunately that type of surfacing requires some real experience.

Geomagic is a solution that will get you Dumb data ie. A surface model that can be solidified but is not parametric nor barley modifiable.

This is my two day workshop for the above process Design-Engine Education: Industrial & Product Design Training in Pro/Engineer, Solidworks, Maya, Rhino, Alias, AdobePro Surface Level 5: Use Advanced Import to Create Parametric Surfaces

Thanks, I only need the dumb data that I can shell, all the surface changes will be done in another program.

I'm a long way off even the entrance requirements for your two day workshop! And it's not something that I need to do very often either. I'll have a look at Geomagic, thank you.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back