Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Inner Volume

camilia

I have a complex shaped part say an oil pan A ...and I want to measure the volume it contains ..
what is easiest way to measure the inner volume?

I would copy the inside surfaces with the surf and bound. Iges out just that surface. open iges as a new part, make sure to close off any opening left and solidify. You can then measure the volume.

I would create a new assembly and then create the above mentioned part in that assembly. Then if the original changes, the "interior" part will update and you can then measure it's new volume. Saves a few steps if you might make changes.

I always create the quilt of the internal volume but don't bother exporting or assembly:

first check the Mass Properties Pro_MP_Volume to get the part volume of the pan.
Then solidify the quilt of the internal volume and again check the Mass Properties Pro_MP_Volume to get the volume of the filled pan.
Subtract the first from the second to get the internal volume.

If you have a lot of surfaces to copy or an irregular shape, then Seed & Boundary copy, although sometimes pretty balky, is the way to go

I have a complex shaped part say an oil pan A ...and I want to measure the volume it contains ..
what is easiest way to measure the inner volume?

sweet mother of all things coincidental... I have spent the better part of 3 days burning spare time and loosing billable hours digging this technique out of the web

the method i used... in very basic terms to save typing... requires relations, parameters, saved measurements using the 'make feature' option and is so convoluted, i'm just not going to post it letter for letter. basically, you measure the solid, make that a feature.. then measure the shell, make that another feature... once there, you concoct a way to subtract one from the other and finally, you have the volume of the hole... mathematically speaking its simple, but holy cow is this backwards and non intuitive as...

in other words, measure the oil pan before you hollow it out, then again once its a shell, then setup a relation to automate the math... yes you'd think its simpler than this in pro/e 34, but we'd be wrong

save each measurement as a feature, which puts it in the tree... once you have these two features, one solid, one hollow, you make a relation to subtract them. this seems more complicated than its worth but once you see the trick, its not as bad as you think, its just country bumkin backwards and takes a metric ton of clicks

hth

I would copy the inside surfaces with the surf and bound. Iges out just that surface. open iges as a new part, make sure to close off any opening left and solidify. You can then measure the volume.

You dont have to SOLIDIFY , you can measure volume of QUILT.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back