Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Proper location of config.pro

cityjack

Morning all,

New to Creo 3.0 from Wildfire. In days past I would put my config.pro and config.win and my syscol.scl files in bin or text. With creo 3 I am confused. Under properties of the icon I have a "start-in" location and a "target" location. Where do I need to put my files please?

Thanks all. This might be the first of a few questions for you guys as my IT person has no clue and has us on lockdown for administrative rights.

Thanks again.

Sid

Hi,

The config.pro, config.win and syscol.scl files can be placed in the "start-in" as you don't have right to place in "text" folder.

In the config.pro update the below setting for the location of color file as "start-in"
Eg:
system_colors_file c:\syscol.scl

Pro/E & Creo have always had multiple places for config files:

The loadpoint/text directory for common company settings
The user home directory for user preference settings
The start in working directory for project settings

Creo 3 doesn't use the config.win (although it may read some icon images from there, oddly), it uses a "creo_parametric_customization.ui" file and it is stored and read only from the cache folder. By default, the cache is buried in your Windows profile under C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\PTC somewhere.

Morning Guys,

Thank you all for your help. I just now got admin rights after asking IT for 5 days. Funny thing or not funny, is that the place they had set up for the start-in directory was a place they had hid from me and yes...........had to have privileges to see that directory. So now I can make the start-in directory anywhere I want. Where shall I make my start-in directory please? This is where the config.pro resides right now C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\F000\Common Files\jlink\jlink_appls\jlink_elev.

My bin and text folder are here C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\F000\Common Files

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day guys.

Sid

Another question guys,

I am trying to save my config.pro and my syscol.scl to the text folder. When I do the EXPORT the windows "OK" box is grayed out. It will not let me actually either file to the text folder. Is that a admin rights thing or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Sid

Create a directory under the C: drive called Creo_Work and put the files there. Use that directory as your start-in directory on the shortcut that starts the program.

Morning Guys,

Thank you all for your help. I just now got admin rights after asking IT for 5 days. Funny thing or not funny, is that the place they had set up for the start-in directory was a place they had hid from me and yes...........had to have privileges to see that directory. So now I can make the start-in directory anywhere I want. Where shall I make my start-in directory please? This is where the config.pro resides right now C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\F000\Common Files\jlink\jlink_appls\jlink_elev.

My bin and text folder are here C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\F000\Common Files

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day guys.

Sid

Probably don't have write permission to those directories.

Another question guys,

I am trying to save my config.pro and my syscol.scl to the text folder. When I do the EXPORT the windows "OK" box is grayed out. It will not let me actually either file to the text folder. Is that a admin rights thing or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Sid

Creo 3 doesn't use the config.win (although it may read some icon images from there, oddly), it uses a "creo_parametric_customization.ui" file and it is stored and read only from the cache folder. By default, the cache is buried in your Windows profile under C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\PTC somewhere.

You can save the creo_parametric_customization.ui wherever you want.

Hey guys,

That's what I did. I made a folder called CREO3 and put my config.pro, syscol.scl, and my .ui file all there. Then changed the start-in directory to there.

Works like a charm.

Any good Creo 3 or 2 even reference books you guys can recommend?

Thanks

Sid

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back