Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Help with sheet metal

iTox

Hi,

I have been trying to do 2 walls which would both bend 90 degrees and connect being both formed as trapezoid 45 degrees shapes..
This is what I have to get there:

And this is what I am getting using 2 walls.
Also edge treatment is not possible to select, also I cannot select 2 walls at once..
I have tried using flange, but flange allowes to go only to other side, not to inside between this 2 walls.
Please explain how to make it..

creo_wall.jpg

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hi,
For the trapezoid flanges use fip, to move the edge to outer, so that it will match your requirement.

I hope this will solve your issue.

Hi, I have tried that too, the problem is that when I flip it it doesnt show up, seems that some of parameters are set wrong to make it feasible.
Also, why is my edge treatment not accessible in the menu (grayed out)
thanks

Select one edge and Flange Wall. Click Placement - Details and change from Standard to Rule based. Choose Tangent. Trim back end as in pics. You can adjust gap under Miter Cuts tab. Also I suggest using Offset tab to adjust wall without deforming material at the end.

Attachments

• Shtmtl Flange placement details.jpg
    Shtmtl Flange placement details.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Shtmtl Flange trim back.jpg
    Shtmtl Flange trim back.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Shtmtl Flange trimmed back.jpg
    Shtmtl Flange trimmed back.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Shtmtl Flange Offset wall.jpg
    Shtmtl Flange Offset wall.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 16
  • Shtmtl Flange tangent.jpg
    Shtmtl Flange tangent.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 15
Sorry about the delay. Couldn't access Dropbox from my office network. The problem is that the default Accuracy is set to relative. Starting from Wildfire 4.0 PTC introduced Absolute Accuracy for sheetmetal templates. Please use them when you create sheetmetal parts.

Here's a typical path to the default templates that comes with installation C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\F000\Common Files\templates Sheetmetal template is mmns_part_sheetmetal.prt

Follow the attached screenshots to change from Relative Accuracy to Absolute Accuracy.

Attachments

• Creo Model Properties.jpg
    Creo Model Properties.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Creo Model Properties Accuracy.jpg
    Creo Model Properties Accuracy.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Creo Model Properties Accuracy Absolute.jpg
    Creo Model Properties Accuracy Absolute.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Creo Shtmtl Flange tangent.jpg
    Creo Shtmtl Flange tangent.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 14
dear magnusod! thank you so much, that is so helpful! I would also like to know if there is a way to make these flanges touch in that 45 degrees matching line, there is always some space, it says minimum value is 0.025, but that only makes problems to my laser, it slows it down for nothing. If you know, please tell me how.
Thanks

Are you sure you want zero gap. I can not see how it's possible to bend to 90 degree if there is no gap on flange.

If an absolute must I suggest creating two seperate flat walls. Note that geometry in Sheetmetal can overlapp. Unbend all, create a cut and use bend edges as references as in pics. Bend back and there should be zero gap.

Attachments

• Create two Flat walls overlapping.jpg
    Create two Flat walls overlapping.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Extrude on Unbend.jpg
    Extrude on Unbend.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Bend back.jpg
    Bend back.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 7
You can never hold a tolerance tight enough to allow for a zero clearance gap. Material thickness variances alone will cause fluctuations in the bend.

can any one help me to get circular blank size for bellow drawing. tip outer dia 23mm and base outer dia is 18 and total height is 10mmsheetmetal.JPG

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back