Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Internal Cam Profile

saspinall

We have a cylinder and I want to put a cam cutout into the internal surface of the cylinder. I have done it initially by creating the cylinder in sheetmetal, unbending it, putting in the correct profile to extrude the cut from the plate, then inserting and bend back to get the cylinder back. I then converted it back to a solid model to build up the outside of the housing we are trying to design. The only problem is its a one shot operation for the initial cutout as when convert back to a solid model we lose all the dims for the cutout etc as it converts to copied geometry.

See the attachment of the cutout profile I want to have in the internal cylinder

Surely must be a way of saying that this is the profile for a 360 surface and we want it to a certain depth

I've also attached pic of what the part should look like when finished (taken from the sheet-metal version we created)

Any advice of a method would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Stu

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 20
This one looks tricky to me too. I do not have an answer but I would like to add. Is this a candidate for a Toroidal Bend ?

I will have to give this one some more thought.

Cheers mike

Thought toroidal bend myself but how would we set the initial extruded feature with the profile to be a certain internal diameter when folded up....

Thought of wrapping with a warp feature too...but same problem of determining the exact internal diameter after being rolled up.

Suppose relations to work out circumference of required internal diameter...??

Thanks for your input though

Stu

Last edited:
Toroidal bend was the answer.....modelled the first feature as a plate with the 360 degree profile I wanted, added a par parameter for the internal diameter I wanted to achieve and used relations to govern the width of the plate to be the circumference if the required internal diameter. Added the 360 toroidal bend, then added the remaining external features I wanted.....gives me the ability to modify the cam profile if I want to.

Not used the toroidal bend feature before, very useful

Stu

I think you could do this with a graph feature to control the depth of the cut. But graph features are a bit of a pain to dimension in a drawing as the only place they will show is a view of the graph.

not sure on the dimensioning for the profile as its just a concept model at the moment, will no doubt run in to some problem when I get round to doing it.

At least the toroidal bend method gives us the option to change the profile slightly should we need to as the dimensions appear with the edit command. The dimensions disappeared when we tried it using sheetmetal then converting it back to solid model.

Not really done anything with cutting from a graph curve, would like to try an example though if you know of any....

Stu

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back