Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Hiding axis from merged component

dr_gallup

I have a part that starts with 2 merged parts. It's a brazed assembly that we then do a lot of machining on. One of the parts has a lot of axis in it that look like shite on the screen and make no sense in the finished part. I can create a layer in the base part and hide these axis. However, they still show up in the merged part.

I created a layer rule in the merged part which finds 40 axis. However, hiding the layer still does not hide the axis!!!!

I look for Axis, look by feature, rule = type, comparison is equal to, category All, value merge.

How can I hide these????

Edit: Ignore my previous rant, where are you creating the layer rule? In the machined part that has the two merged parts? I set up a layer in one of my machined from cast models that had a merge that brought in a crap load of axes using the same rule conditions that you have above and was able to hide the layer and the axes without any problems using Creo 2.0 M020.

Last edited:
Yes, I made the layer rule in the machined part. I had already made a layer and added the axis to in in the base part (I can just pick the axis there) but it had no effect in the merged part. I'm using WF4, I just fired it up this morning and get the same result. So I fired up Creo2 M100 and still get the same result. Hiding the layer does not hide the 40 axis.
Capture.JPG

Edit: Ignore my previous rant, where are you creating the layer rule? In the machined part that has the two merged parts? I set up a layer in one of my machined from cast models that had a merge that brought in a crap load of axes using the same rule conditions that you have above and was able to hide the layer and the axes without any problems using Creo 2.0 M020.

What I've found is that hiding stuff in the base part has ZERO effect on the merge/cut part.

Back to the problem at hand, I made a couple new parts with holes that would produce an axis in the merged part, then set up the layer exactly like what you've got in the screen shot. When I hit okay to accept the rule/layer I noticed that even though the axes showed up in the preview there was nothing populating in the actual layer itself. It made a blank layer with nothing in it. Under the rules options I checked "Associative" and was able to get the layer to populate with axes and was able to hide them from there. I'll throw up some screens to go with this.

Attachments

• rule_editor.JPG
    rule_editor.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 9
  • rule_editor_3.JPG
    rule_editor_3.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 8
  • screen_1.JPG
    screen_1.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 8
  • screen_2.jpg
    screen_2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 8
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Associative. It's blindingly obtuse what that would do or why I have to check it or why it would not be a default but that is what I was missing. Even works in WF4.

Welcome. Another trick would be to hide that particular feature in the model tree and skip the layers all together but that has consequences of it's own as well.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back