Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Comparing a model to a JPEG

dr_gallup

I have some photos of damaged parts. I want to compare the photos to the CAD model of the mating part. Anybody know how I can do this?

You want to check the size of the part with the picture and the 3D model?

You can get a ruler to measure the picture and on the computer zoom in and make it measure the same size.

I want to able to superimpose a picture over a model. Or somehow combine the photograph JPEG with a model JPEG. One of the images has to have some transparency so the other can be seen through it. I have no image editing software so would prefer to do it in Pro/E if there is a way.

I remember hazily that in some module it is possible to bring in a JPEG to use as a reference when building a model but it is probably one of the free form surfacing modules that I don't have.

I want to able to superimpose a picture over a model. Or somehow combine the photograph JPEG with a model JPEG. One of the images has to have some transparency so the other can be seen through it. I have no image editing software so would prefer to do it in Pro/E if there is a way.

I remember hazily that in some module it is possible to bring in a JPEG to use as a reference when building a model but it is probably one of the free form surfacing modules that I don't have.

For some reason PTC has tried to hide this feature. Go to:

View tab > Model Display > Images

you add the jpeg then you can flip it around, scale it, set transparency, etc.

That would almost do it but I need to rotate the image abut 45 degrees and PTC will only let me move it in 90 degree increments. I did manage to make a JPEG of my part (rotated 45 degrees) and save that to a PNG (JPEG's don't do transparency) then down load paint.net, teach myself how to use it and git er done.

For some reason PTC has tried to hide this feature. Go to:

you add the jpeg then you can flip it around, scale it, set transparency, etc.

moldman > I dont think you can load images outside of isdx for WF3.
dr_gallup > When you are in Images placement, just drag the green ball to rotate at any angle.

I'll give it another try, I didn't see any green ball. Why doesn't it come up with the same rotation interface as assembly? I know, it's a trick rhetorical question. Why don't any PTC development teams communicate and build consistent interfaces?

moldman > I dont think you can load images outside of isdx for WF3.
dr_gallup > When you are in Images placement, just drag the green ball to rotate at any angle.

I'll give it another try, I didn't see any green ball. Why doesn't it come up with the same rotation interface as assembly? I know, it's a trick rhetorical question. Why don't any PTC development teams communicate and build consistent interfaces?
Maybe it needs to be turned on? In assembly mode you can turn it on and off.

It is the same interface in the assembly. In Image placement, just select the image, the green handle will show up.

Clikc import, pick image
With the image loaded on the plane selected. There is a green handle to drag.

It is the same interface in the assembly. In Image placement, just select the image, the green handle will show up.

Clikc import, pick image
With the image loaded on the plane selected. There is a green handle to drag.

I get a little green dot, it looks nothing like the assembly handles. I was able to rotate the image by eye. There are numerous controls that are greyed out for height, width, 1:1 scaling. I don't know what you have to do to get those to do anything.

It's also pretty weird that you have to pick a plane to place the injector before you pick the image. It's a very obscure prompt and it looks like Creo is stuck until you notice what it's asking for. As far as I can tell, you can never change the plane, if you don't like it you have to delete the image and start over.

Overall, using an image editor was a much better solution.

I get a little green dot, it looks nothing like the assembly handles. I was able to rotate the image by eye. There are numerous controls that are greyed out for height, width, 1:1 scaling. I don't know what you have to do to get those to do anything.

It's also pretty weird that you have to pick a plane to place the injector before you pick the image. It's a very obscure prompt and it looks like Creo is stuck until you notice what it's asking for. As far as I can tell, you can never change the plane, if you don't like it you have to delete the image and start over.

Overall, using an image editor was a much better solution.

well i can't speak to WF3 but I just tried out the new and improved creo 3 import and its pretty tight

was able to import jpeg without issue, move it around, scale it, whole enchilada... now the feature is kind of hidden still, you need to hunt down the view ribbon, then find the model display section... except there isn't an icon for it, you have to click on the actual words 'model display' for an old school fly out menu, and in there is a pick for images, then a new ribbon, then a new button finally labeled 'import'

surely this is less picks and 40% faster than before right :D

pick import, pick a plane, then find the image... since it wants a plane for placement first, perhaps your 45 degree issue is most solvable by setting up the plane before putting the image down, or just using the face you want to use as the source of your plane

You might be able to follow the Trace Sketch video here: Some Pro/e Tutorial Videos Those are SWF/Flash videos. To make the image scaling work and not skew like in that Trace Sketch video make your L x W of the surface the same ratio as the image. I think that gun image was 96 x 50, hence why I used those numbers for the sketch/surface.

There are free image editors like Paint.NET, Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing, that work great on cleaning up your image prior to bringing it into pro/e.

You might be able to follow the Trace Sketch video here: Some Pro/e Tutorial Videos Those are SWF/Flash videos. To make the image scaling work and not skew like in that Trace Sketch video make your L x W of the surface the same ratio as the image. I think that gun image was 96 x 50, hence why I used those numbers for the sketch/surface.

There are free image editors like Paint.NET, Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing, that work great on cleaning up your image prior to bringing it into pro/e.

I used paint.net to clean up, rotate, resize, etc. my images outside of Pro/E. The right tool for the job.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back