Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Help I don't know where to start. Designing pattern tooling {aka sand casting mold}

iowa-creo-noob

I have a huge project. I have to design pattern tooling or sand casting tooling for a very large casting about 1500 lbs. If you can imagine the spinx with a head and 2 arms coming out. I used delcam for the last ten years and now I will use creo. The mold will have close to 10 cores. I don't know how to go about getting startred. So I have this in mind.

1. First Separate the core from the pattern, or seperate the internal geometry from the external geometry.
A. I believe I will have to make quilts for the cores. I just don't know how to selected the surfaces and compile or group my quilts.
B. Once I have the cores constructed I will need to check Draft and try to model parting lines of each individual core.

I would greatly appreciate any input on how I should approach this project. I need some theory of the process.
Tell me what you would do, maybe drop me some clues as to tools with creo that I will need to use.

THANKS

Chris

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back