Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Rename parts while importing CAD-data into ProE/Creo

geertdaenen

Dear all,

I've searched the forum for a few hours to find a solution for my problem. But unfortunately I haven't found something useful yet. Maybe somebody can help me with it:

Currently we are using still ProE WF3 but we also have some Croe2.0 licenses.
We are receiving quite a few CAD-data files from our customers (in CATIA, step and iges-format). We are importing this data into ProE by translating it first into stp-files and then opening it in ProE.
The names of the original parts/assemblies have been given by our customers, and we leave the names like they are while opening the stp-files. Because it takes a lot of time to rename them.

We quite often receive some up-dates of the CAD-data. And quite often the names of the parts/assemblies haven't been changed by the customer.
So if we open the updated CAD-data (without having the old data in session), ProE will give the new parts the same name as the old parts... And this will give us some problems if we want to open old and new data.

My question: is there a solution to give the parts/assemblies of the CAD-data a new name before/while importing it into ProE?

I've allready tried to open the step-file in the Windows-Notepad, and tried to find some rules in this STP-file. But I couldn't find some easy rules for the names of the parts/assy's.
I also was wondering if it is possible to ask ProE/Creo to put a prefix for the name while opening the STP-file?

I've seen that there is a column called "Import Name" in the "Layer Import Options"-Window from ProE (see attachment), which appears while opening a step-file. Does anybody know why this columns is for? Because you can fill in something, but this has no effect.

I hope somebody can give me some answers...

Attachments

• Layer Import Options.JPG
    Layer Import Options.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 7
I've always created a separate directory for each new version of the step file. You can't open different versions at the same time, but it keeps the proper parts with the proper assembly.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back