Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

rename number

KHartline

We are using intralink 9.1. We do not have a intralink IT person so we are on our own as users so if you have a solution please answer slowly with small words.

1. We occasionally rename parts and drawings. We have no problem with the "file name" but the "number" is grayed out and we can't change it. What do I have to do to rename the "number"?

2. When we do a search we would like to show the "file name" column in the results but it is not an option in the customization. Is there anyway to turn it on?

Based on my experience it is often a mistake to rename. When you rename you will "destroy" the history of the Drawing. It is a better practice to save a copy to the new name/number, and then obsolete the old drawing. When you obsolete you can add a note in the revision field of the drawing "Replaced by xxx". On the new number you could add "Replacing xxx". This practice will give you full history of the drawings - both the old and the new. I have often seen users looking for a drawing, but can't find it as it have been renamed. :)
The only cases I have seen where rename is OK, is when a user have made a typing error and the drawing have never been released.

Renaming doesn't destroy any history. All history is maintained under the new name. If you wish to maintain the history under the old name, then you are essentially creating a new part.

More than likely your Intralink system is set up to not allow you to change the number or set up to automatically number. You will need to have a knowledgeable admin person look at the configuration. My advice is to find a third party implementation company and utilize them. You need to have someone to administer your Intralink.

I would also suggest upgrading to Windchill PDMLink.

"Destroy" was perhaps a wrong word to use. Yes history will still be under the new name. But you won't be able to open a old revision and see the old drawing with the old name. You won't be able to search for the old name and find the old "obsolete" drawing. It will look like the old name has never been there.
I will recommend to use copy and not rename. Unless it is a typing error.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back