Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sharing parameters across files

gds

I'm making laser cutter patterns in Creo. Laser cutting is a 2D process, so each of my 3D models has the same thickness. How can I set up a parameter for this thickness value so that it is shared across multiple parts in my assembly, and I only have to change one value in order to alter the thickness of each part?

Thanks!
Graham

You can use Pro/Notebook to create a layout. In the layout you can declare universal parameters. Then you have to declare the layout to each assembly/part. I have not used the functionality in years, it always seemed more trouble than it was worth.

I agree with Dr. Gallup, haven't used a layout in years, more trouble than it is worth and the layout functionality is frequently better implemented with a skeleton model.
In your case, I would suggest putting a thickness parameter, which drives the part dimension, in each of the parts. When you want to change the thicknesses, use the Find tool to select all the parts which have the thickness parameter and then right click on one of the selected parts in the model tree to edit the parameter value in all the parts simultaneously.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back