Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dear PTC.....

It still is a one-step operation if you use circular trim. Nothing needs to be trimmed or deleted.

Geez, I missed that one. Thanks for the tip. The default seems to be having construction lines at the forefront. It would be nice to change that to circular trim permanently

Fix your @$%*&! sketcher constraints! The supposed conflicts shown are not actual conflicts. If fact, in the situation I am looking at right now, there are no conflicts. Yet I can't create the geometry I need. All I want is an arc which is tangent to two lines. The radius of the arc is undefined (it can be whatever radius is required). The arc can attach to the lines anywhere. After trying 10 different ways to do a very simple thing I finally succeeded. When a 3 second task turns into a 10 minute task productivity is reduced by a factor of 200.

You've been at this for 35 years and your software is still an EPIC FAILURE! In fact sketcher constrains used to work fine, which means the software is getting worse.

LOL... I am going to go out on a limb and guess you're trying to draw a slot. It is indeed unbelievable how complicated this simple feature should be, yet how convoluted it actually is. Things like this prove to me that pro/e is tested and released by people that do not draw for a living.

As a workaround, assuming this is for a slot, I do the following which pisses off both CAD admins and modelcheck. Cut two holes by sketching two circles. Usually I have both circles are in one sketch, but you are not limited to this. In a second cut, pick the edge of the circles as references and hang a rectangle thru both centers, tangent to every arc. To pull this off in one swipe, I will drop centerlines on each center before I draw the rectangle, this way all the points I want already have references and I can drop in my rectangle without dimensions or constraints.

It takes alot of typing to describe, but trust me its simple in use. Benefits are you control the circles independent of the slot, the slot (if built right) follows the circles everytime, you get free axes with your circles (no axis for arcs), and you avoid the hole command, still my most hated upgrade of all.

Hole fans flame away, you and modelcheck can help yourselves to all the sand and mallet you can stand with my blessing :D

"you get free axes with your circles (no axis for arcs)"

If you put a sketch point at the center of the sketched arc, Pro will create an axis for you.

Slots are in the Sketcher Palette under Shapes.
They're called "Racetrack".

View attachment 6450

yep, aware but I still don't use those, the oval shape is great for a never changing slot. when developing a part, I'm a bit abusive to my models probably and don't like to get stuffed into clip/delete because my slot fell apart. if you twist arcs like that, spin its orientation, or reverse it, odds are that shape will not follow. if you use two circles and a rectangle wired between them, it just doesn't seem to fail. anyways like I said, I'm hard on my models, I pound them hard, I'm pretty intolerant of features puking because of stupid tangent fails or arc not knowing which half of the circle they get to live in. honestly that quirk could be gone know, I just have a developed approach that fixed it once so it is what it is.

yep, aware but I still don't use those, the oval shape is great for a never changing slot. when developing a part, I'm a bit abusive to my models probably and don't like to get stuffed into clip/delete because my slot fell apart. if you twist arcs like that, spin its orientation, or reverse it, odds are that shape will not follow. if you use two circles and a rectangle wired between them, it just doesn't seem to fail. anyways like I said, I'm hard on my models, I pound them hard, I'm pretty intolerant of features puking because of stupid tangent fails or arc not knowing which half of the circle they get to live in. honestly that quirk could be gone know, I just have a developed approach that fixed it once so it is what it is.

So you've got your head stuck in the sand and refuse to pull it out.
Try it, you will likely like it.

What? Seriously? It's not any different and much quicker.

So you've got your head stuck in the sand and refuse to pull it out.
Try it, you will likely like it.

I see you guys are hardcore haha... I've tried it plenty enough to dump it again.

See for yourself, go drag a racetrack off that palette and cut something... now turn on all your datums, notice there are no axis in your slot, your cylindrical cuts have no center... well... we know they have a center, you just can't show it on a drawing now

see when I get to my drawing, I show the axis in the view along with the dimension... and this is a center to center dimension between the axis, ask asked for by countless programmers and machinists... now the programmers, they don't really care about drawings, but the manual guys sure do and the QC inspector usually wants your dims on center as well

anyways thanks but no, i didn't develop this caveman workaround just to win a pissing contest someday, for simple slots my method is better for me and I would argue anyone, for two reasons... one, you get an axis in each hole (lol i made a funny) and as a two cut combo, sure its slower to do it this way, but its also so robust that even I cant screw it up once its in, so until that palette is fixed up some more, I'll keep it as is...

now should I ever need a 7 pointed star, a rounded rectangle, or an arc based racetrack, I will pluck it off the palette and add my centers the hard way, i'm not that much of a hardass :D

whatttup_G - if it is axii that is holding you back, all you have to do is....while in sketch mode, just click point and place at the center of the arcs and it will create an axis at each point. I do this at the center of my slots for dimensioning. Just another workaround!!!

I see you guys are hardcore haha... I've tried it plenty enough to dump it again.

See for yourself, go drag a racetrack off that palette and cut something... now turn on all your datums, notice there are no axis in your slot, your cylindrical cuts have no center... well... we know they have a center, you just can't show it on a drawing now

see when I get to my drawing, I show the axis in the view along with the dimension... and this is a center to center dimension between the axis, ask asked for by countless programmers and machinists... now the programmers, they don't really care about drawings, but the manual guys sure do and the QC inspector usually wants your dims on center as well

anyways thanks but no, i didn't develop this caveman workaround just to win a pissing contest someday, for simple slots my method is better for me and I would argue anyone, for two reasons... one, you get an axis in each hole (lol i made a funny) and as a two cut combo, sure its slower to do it this way, but its also so robust that even I cant screw it up once its in, so until that palette is fixed up some more, I'll keep it as is...

now should I ever need a 7 pointed star, a rounded rectangle, or an arc based racetrack, I will pluck it off the palette and add my centers the hard way, i'm not that much of a hardass :D

I just tried it with using the racetrack. Got the axis on the drawing without doing anything other than showing them, same as you have to do the way you are doing it.

Your argument holds no water.
Get your head out of the sand!!!

Sounds to me like there is a configuration option not set or improperly set. I don't have access to my computer at the moment but there is a configuration option for creating axis on circular features. Can't remember it of the top of my head. Sounds like this needs to be set.

It's under show_axes_for_extr_arcs. If it's yes, you get the axis. I wonder if they are being funny or if somebody at pro can't spell. Maybe they were relying on spell checker - that wouldn't have caught it.

I just tried it with using the racetrack. Got the axis on the drawing without doing anything other than showing them, same as you have to do the way you are doing it.

Your argument holds no water.
Get your head out of the sand!!!

Dross , your comments seem a little heavy , especially if a config.pro setting is needed for axis to show don't you think.:confused:

Sometimes its easy to just get caught up in the moment with Pro-e and all its " interesting ways" at least for me this has happened too.

Dross , your comments seem a little heavy , especially if a config.pro setting is needed for axis to show don't you think.:confused:

Sometimes its easy to just get caught up in the moment with Pro-e and all its " interesting ways" at least for me this has happened too.

I think the thread started out a little heavy when it's simply poor training.

srieger you are correct, it is indeed a config.pro option now.. why, i sure can't say, but it seems stupid to have a cylinder of any form not have an axis by nature. the option is as stated by moldman above, its default is a 'no' so good job to you both for pointing this out, it was never intuitive enough for me to go hunting for a show axes option that probably wasn't even available wildfire... i.e. lmfao@show_axes_for_extr_arcs, its so obvious in hindsight!!

to the others, wrap yourselves less tightly and get over the fact that there is more than one way to skin a cat, nobody gives a rats how much water an internet argument holds. for what its worth, go model with nothing but palette sketches, make all your models UDF's, standardize your hole features with fastener targets, include them in your top down skeleton.. or don't.. whatever.. its not critical.. nobody cares.. certainly not me

to PTC, after a couple weeks on Creo 3.0, holy shit do you guys have a long ways to go... its like pro 20 over and over, one step forward, two steps back... what is the company motto there, 100% of everything must be less than 50% complete? have you even tried to modify anything once its modeled and assembled? and i dont mean a block of margarine you can drag and click, i mean actually putting multiple parts into an assembly and attempting to continue the design phase of life, once more than one part is on screen? is this a bug in build F000 or is it another oversight where the part acts one way in part mode, but loses all the new functions once its placed in an assembly? double click a part, dimensions and a sketch to tug on, a grip on the extrusion length... double click on assemblies, nothing.. or dimensions.. but they don't drag and you get no grips... oh wait, activate the part you want.. cool.. oops shit, the rest of the assembly just went into jello mode, now i cant see where i want to drag to.. well no problem, that still doesn't make it act like a part again.. three clicks for this crap?? get me out of here... wait, how do i get out.. change window?? gone... how about that activate check mark i saw in wildfire... nope, gone too... dang.. oh yeah, i'll regen my way out... oops, mapkey dead there too, how about the huge button labeled regenerate, surely that will save me... click.. click.. click.. aaaahhhhhh wtf... oh oh oh.. wait... middle button, that means 'done' now, that will do it... nope, failed yet again... gggrrrrrr... ffffffuuuuuuuuu ptc!!!!!!

again, blatant signs of a pro/e release by a team that doesn't draw/model/assemble for a living... working for PTC must suck, this much seems apparent, i can feel the hate

Hi Guys
I am back after several years of inactivity.
I just got into thread and I think there are some confusion.
What I learned after learning a lot of CAD/CAM softwares like Creo (former Wildfire & Pro/E), Catia, VX, SolidWorks and others as well in my 28 years of career is "I may need to get more expertise and skills" and I always follow this.
In my early days, I was doing simple sketches and split the features. As I got skills in sketches I made more & more complicated sketches perfectly.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back