Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Removing cross section (web) from a part in an assembly

hlchoo

Hi all, I'm not sure how to ask this clearly but I'll try my best and hope I can get an answer.

I have an assembly which I have created an offset section. However, since it is a standard not to section features such as web of a part, I am having some difficulties. I could either exclude the whole part from being sectioned (which is not what I wanted) or erase hatching from the whole part (also not what I wanted). I only want to disable sectioning and hatching of the web feature of the part.

Untitled.jpg

I attached my assembly drawing with this post. The red lines show the extend of the web and I would like to show that as a full feature (unsectioned). However, the web is part of the bracket. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks!

NOTE:

I tried to use MOD-XHATCH to fill the area but I couldn't get rid of the colour!

Untitledq.jpg

Last edited:
There is no easy way to get Pro/E to not hatch where there is solid material. Frankly, I never understood why anybody ever thought it was a good idea not to section solid material, but you are right, that is the generally accepted standard. You said it is an offset section, can you put a jog in the section to avoid the web? Can you make an full unfolded or full aligned section in the drawing to avoid the web?

Thanks Jacek. This will save me lots of time. On rare occasions when I need it, I've been creating sketches of the entire x section and as you can guess, that's a real pain.

Thanks dr_gallup. However because there is a shaft that I would like to section (has internal details), I couldn't draw an offset line around it.

There is no easy way to get Pro/E to not hatch where there is solid material. Frankly, I never understood why anybody ever thought it was a good idea not to section solid material, but you are right, that is the generally accepted standard. You said it is an offset section, can you put a jog in the section to avoid the web? Can you make an full unfolded or full aligned section in the drawing to avoid the web?

I don't understand why you would not want to show the section. If there is some standard that says not to, can you provide me with a link?
Dr. Gallup said not to hatch where there is solid material. If you don't hatch solid material, then what DO you hatch?

Hi dross, it is mentioned in BS ISO 128-44:2001. I can't upload the document due to copyright reason.

I will copy here the relevant paragraph.

"In principle, ribs, fasteners, shafts, spokes of wheels and the like are not cut in longitudinal sections, and should therefore not be represented as sections."

I think Dr Gallup meant solid as in full solid vs hollow material?

I don't understand why you would not want to show the section. If there is some standard that says not to, can you provide me with a link?
Dr. Gallup said not to hatch where there is solid material. If you don't hatch solid material, then what DO you hatch?

I think the principle reason for doing this is that you can show the rib shape and the underlying geometry of a hub in one view. My guess is when you were drawing every view line by line back in the dark ages it saved time, you didn't have to create an auxiliary section at an angle to show the outside of the hub. Like a lot of old standards, it is rarely followed. Kind of like the standard where the axis lines in holes on a bolt circle should always point toward the center of the bolt circle. I've never seen that one done in real life either.

You can also use the Use Edge in drawing mode. For US drawings the standard that defines sections is ASME Y14.3. The main is to indicate there is a difference in thickness in the un-sectioned area. In Y14.3 it's not a requirement to remove hatching from the rib area, you can hatch the full area but you will need another section to show the geometry detail.

Another thing of note is, on drawing views for an assembly, you can delete the individual hatched areas for the parts using X-Area in the Mod Xhatch dialog. Using the method of Use Edge that I mentioned previously, create new hatch areas. Gets rid of the need for an offset section and you don't have to specify the hatch areas in the model.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back