Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Going to windchill 10 from 9 ?

canoemike

So it has been decided to go to Creo 2 , this requires Windchill 10 I am told.

Question: Will my settings ( preference manager, custom workspace views etc.) from Windchill 9 be carried over to Windchill 10 ? or will I loose them and have to start from scratch ?

Thanks

First of all, don't go to Windchill 10 - go to Windchill 10.1 (or wait for 10.2). Officially, 10 is compatible with Creo 2, but we have had problems since we upgraded.

Secondly, speak to whoever sold you Windchill, to find out how difficult it is to change over - we had to get our's to perform the upgrade, it's not easy.

Clarification 10.1 is what we are upgrading too. I just tested the beta version today and yes my Windchill user settings did migrate fine.

Care to provide details to your " problems since we upgraded " ?

I only gave it a short test drive today, it would help to test specific tasks when I return from my holiday break.

Thanks

Last edited:
We have been told that all of our problems are due to using Windchill 10.0, and that by upgrading to Windchill 10.1 we can fix them. Unfortunately, we weren't told that before we upgraded from Wildfire to Creo.
One thing that is required - make sure that you do not install Internet Explorer 10 or later, it is not compatible with Creo & Windchill - we had to downgrade to IE9 to work in Windchill.

Here are some of our errors.

working with family tables
fatal error closing part model
fatal error during regen
fatal error attempting to save assy
fatal error using middle mouse button to zoom in on a drawing region!!!!!
Had to re-start due to tick boxes in w/chill not responding
fatal error doing an "erase not displayed" command
fatal error - modifying hole table
Creo closed when creating a copy of an Assy. (was in re-use/re-number dialogue window)
fatal error closing drawing
Hung when Print requested. (Newly created drawing, just saved)
Creo closed when creating a copy of an Assy. (tried to stretch re-use/re-number dialogue window)
Creo closed when Add To Workspace. (after dialogue to replace some files)

Every Windchill installation is different, and some can be more problematic than others. Network configurations and other environmental factors can make a difference. We've been using IE 10 with WC 10.0 for over a year without issue.

robertib, is that PTC saying all your issues are due to 10.0? some of the issues you describe sound like they could be more network related. obviously it's very difficult to tell, but unless your network is pretty much spot on, it's hard to say going to 10.1 will be a cure all. are you using Oracle or SQL? Do you have the PSM installed to see where things could be hanging up and causing issues? Certain date codes work better with each other. You need to make sure you're using ones that are the most stable with both WC & Pro/E / Creo.

just saying.

Last edited:
Creo 2 and Windchill 10 are problematic and not supported. 10.1 is much better and should work fine with IE 10. If you are going through the effort and expense of upgrading, I would wait for Windchill 10.2 as it will incorporate improvements for Creo 3. Unfortunately upgrading Windchill is a major evolution and not something to take lightly.

Log into PTC and find the Creo Data Management Compatibility Roadmap. It shows that 10.0 M030 and Creo 2.0 F000 are compatible. It just doesn't work with Options Modeler, Creo Sketch or Layout.

Last edited:
We are reasonably certain that it is a problem between Creo 2 & Windchill 10.0 - we had no such problems with Wildfire 4 on the same computers. We even had to upgrade the computers, and still have problems. Our 'support' says to upgrade to Windchill 10.1 to solve the problems, but since they said Creo 2 was compatible with Windchill 10.0 ...

We are reasonably certain that it is a problem between Creo 2 & Windchill 10.0 - we had no such problems with Wildfire 4 on the same computers. We even had to upgrade the computers, and still have problems. Our 'support' says to upgrade to Windchill 10.1 to solve the problems, but since they said Creo 2 was compatible with Windchill 10.0 ...

WF4 is/was very stable with 10.0. You bring up a good point - upgrading computers doesn't always help. I know that some of the latest ones we've received in have been way more crashy. One kept giving us the blue screen of death. Turned out it was the cooling system - the graphics card would over heat and the fan would spin up to 100% and then BOOM - BSoD. This wasn't even PTC related as we could get it to crash just with opening email.

I'd confirm with PTC that your datecodes are stable with each other. I know that Creo 2 M050 had several issues. Depending on your environment, updating Creo to a new datecode is / should be not too difficult. Updating the datecode for Windchill 10.0 can be a bit more challenging. I know when I went from M030 to M040 the zip files that were supposed to be created and deployed for the replica server failed even though the wt.properties file was set up correctly.

Thank you all for the input.

I will now put on my life jacket and test this beta version. I will try to report back any interesting findings.

The latest discussion on the job is training. I know some may think "we don't need no stink-in training" but you and I most likely have a different opinion.

From what I have reviewed this upgrade of both Windchill and Pro-e is quite a step.

How many days do you fellow Pro-e users advise to ease this upgrade ?

Note: We do have a very experience consultant doing this upgrade.

Between Windchill 9 & Windchill 10, there is not a lot of difference that would be experienced day-to-day. However, there is a big difference between Wildfire & Creo, so that is where I would concentrate the training for the users.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back