Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to represent plated area in drawing

justin.craig

I am using a merge from a base part (turned dimensions) in a new part, then using a revolve to represent chrome plating of a portion of a cylindrical surface. This is followed by a revolve cut to achieve the finish ground diameter of the entire part. I now need to identify the chromed portion of the finished part in the drawing. Unfortunately, since the entire cylindrical surface is now at the same diameter, I do not have any surfaces or edges by which to identify the boundary between materials. Preferably, I would like to identify the chromed area with a crosshatch. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Create a cosmetic feature and hatch it. Or you can draw a closed shape in drawing mode and hatch it. I prefer the first as it's easier to keep in synch with model changes.

Create sketched line on model or drawing and change type to dash dot line according to ISO 128 and represent plating as per ISO 1302 or ISO 15787 if heat treated. Principle is to add correct line above plated area on the drawing. If dimension is needed create surface for it and, hide it and use show and erase on drawing or create dimension on drawing attached to surface. There is several ways to do it. Question is what standard you are going to follow that supplier have same understanding. I think asme have almost similar practise in this.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back