Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Applying Datums and GD&T in WF5

nsgoldberg

Hi All,

Used this site plenty in the past; it's a great resource, but this is my first post here. Hopefully someone can help.

I'm using WF5 and have always placed datums using the "old style" boxed callout or used the @[-A-@] technique. I'm trying to transition to the newer style (flags) and I keep hitting roadblocks. Here are the two main issues I've been having:

1. I can't get diametrical datums to attach to the leader lines of a dimension. i.e. datum -B- in this pic:

datum_leader.jpg

They will only attach to the opposite side of the dimension, on the circular feature.

2. I'm unable to get datums to attach to a feature control frame, as in -B- in this image:

datum_on_gtol.jpg

If I create the gtol, attach it to the diameter, then attempt to attach the datum to the feature control frame, I get the following error: "Gtol is in a dimension. Must place in dimension"

This is very frustrating, as I have spent several hours trying to figure it out, to no avail. I've tried changing several drawing config options, as well as my config.pro options, and nothing is taking. Here are my current (what I assume relevant) config options:

asme_dtm_on_dia_dim_gtol - on dim
gtol_datum_placement_default - on bottom
gtol_datums - std asme
gtol_display_style - std
new_iso_set_datums - yes

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I have had the same problems that you have had with GD & T in Creo 2. I will be interested to see if anyone has a solution. I got so frustrated I made a symbol that looks like the new datum with a tail symbol and just faked it in. I know that isn't an answer to your problem, but I got tired of spending hours and hours trying to get it to look right.

Figured out #2. The drawing config option:

asme_dtm_on_dia_dim_gtol - on dim

should be

asme_dtm_on_dia_dim_gtol - on gtol

Then the datum will attach to the FCF, and the FCF will attach to the dia.

Now if I can just figure out #1. I really don't want to use symbols. This should be a feature that is integrated into Pro/E - this has been a component of Y14.5 since 1994.

Anyone have any input on this? I wish we would drop Pro/E and get SW! I forgot how user friendly SW is until I used it recently... what a dream that software is to use. Pro/E is like you're constantly wrestling a bear while Solidworks is analogous to petting a kitten.

I may be worng, but I've never seen a drawing like your example 1. I don't believe I've seen it depicted that way in Y14.5M-1994, either.

Is this possibly a non-standard way you have shown it in the past?

Both screenshots are actually from the ASME Y14.5-2009 standard.

Here is the thing though - #1 is not new to Y14.5-2009. That was included in Y14.5-1994. If you have the book handy, you can turn to p.92 for an example of it in the top drawing. It's also shown on p.141, fig. 5.10. I'm sure there are other instances, but those were two I ran across.

It's unacceptable, in my opinion, to not include GD&T features that were part of a standard that was released 15 years ago.

I created a custom symbol as a workaround. Apparently this wasn't updated in Creo or Creo 2 either.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back