Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Tool holder avoidance with fixturing.

ckirchen

I have a block of steel that I'm roughing with a 1" feed mill and I'm having an issue with the tool holder colliding with my fixturing (using the Roughing sequence).

I'm using a solid tool in ProNC (defined with "File>Open Tool Library>Use Outline...") and I've specified the holder diameter and length in the part model (HOLDER_DIA and HOLDER_LEN). In the sequence's parameters, I've set TRIM_TOOLPATH_ON_HOLDER to YES and HOLDER_CLEARANCE to 0.1.

When I Play Path, the toolpath is trimmed so that the tool avoids the clamps, but the tool holder hits the clamp (see picture).

When I run Gouge Check, it does not catch the collision. Vericut does catch it, but that still means that I have to go back in to modify the program (probably by modifying the Mill Window).

I haven't missed one of these collisions yet, but I seem to spend a lot of time verifying the toolpath. Is there an option to force trimming to the holder as well? I would like to automate some of this...

Also, on a related note, if you look closely at the picture, you'll also see some rapids near the clamps; those rapids end up passing through the clamps. I can remove those collisions by increasing the retract height, but is there a way to force ProNC to lift the tool high enough to clear the clamps only when it is necessary?

Attachments

• 2013_10_01-clamp crash.jpg
    2013_10_01-clamp crash.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 32
The clamp you show is for restraing a part whos features are below/above the face being milled. You need a milling vise that secures the object from the sides!8474a15p1l.png

I don't agree. It is quite common practice to use strap clamps that are present above the top of part; talk to any mold maker. That's one of the things that collision avoidance is used for.

Besides, this part is too large for a vise (16.5" SQ x 3" thick) and strap clamps offer more holding power in this scenario.

Hi Chris, ProE - sadly - does not check for toolholder collision. This has been discussed in lengths. The parameters you tried to use don't do nothing to my best knowledge; it's probably for "future use" ...
My workaround is to set tools in ProE so as to mimis the toolholder.... or use solid tools instead - you can revolve any shape you like, and then ProE should omit your clamps and whatnot.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back