Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating new drawings using mapkeys

Zippy38

I wanted to enable users to run a mapkey with a Creo part on the screen and to sit back, watch the flashing text and bingo - there is most of the drawing done. (Just views and Dimensions must be added)
I got the mapkey to work nicely on parts - depending what type of drawing the user needs, he can type in the mapkey and then the drawing is created and populated with most of the company requirement regarding notes and symbols. The notes and symbols are placed using X and Y positions on the drawing.
The first problem I had was to populate the text box with the drawing number. I overcame this by opening tools/parameters and then copy the drawing number parameter to the clipboard and pasting this in the new drawing text box.
This works great when creating part drawings.
Here is the question: When I use this method to populate an assembly drawing number, it only works correctly for that drawing.
When I use the mapkey on another assembly drawing, The &draw_number is correct in the title block, but the file name is the same as the drawing I used when creating the mapkey?
The cut and paste works in real time, but not from the mapkey.
I tried to run a rename at the end of the mapkey, but I still cannot correct the file name to the same number as the drawing name.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Seems to be an odd way to do this. Formats are the best way to populate the majority of the title block information using parameters and tables. If you wish to use a drawing specific parameter use &parameter_name:d.

It's really takes very little effort to do this so a mapkey seems to be a bit of overkill.

Seems to be an odd way to do this. Formats are the best way to populate the majority of the title block information using parameters and tables. If you wish to use a drawing specific parameter use &parameter_name:d.

It's really takes very little effort to do this so a mapkey seems to be a bit of overkill.

I am using drawing formats and populating most of the fields with &parameter_name.
The problem is we have different sizes of drawings A3, A2 and A1, as well as different types of drawings: flat laser cut parts, bent parts, machined parts as well as weld assembly and assembly drawings.
The users now type a map key from the part/assembly and the mapkey creates a tailored drawing with the correct size and populates the drawing with the correct notes and company requirements for that drawing.
I have made the mapkey to pause with the input of the drawing number.
The users decide from the part/Assembly what type of drawing they want. They have to right click paste then the mapkey takes over again. This has been a time saver with repetitive drawings.

Have you considered making a variety of template.prt/template.drw configured with the different layouts, notes, etc. based on the type of part/assembly being created? Example: mach_template.prt/mach_template.drw; sheetmetal_template.prt/sheetmetal_template.drw.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back