Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sections are all hollow

neilb

Is there a config setting that will change the apperance of solids in a section to appear as solid geom? Every time I look at any section all the solids appear hollow?

Thnaks

not sure if there's a setting that changes this globally, but usually when a section appears hollow it is due to a geometry error in the solid. a lot of time geometry checks will cause this. to isolate which feature is causing the problem, start at the top of the model and just start scrolling down a couple features at a time while the section is active and eventually you can find the feature that is blowing up the section.

I get that a fair amount usually when dealing with either a large assembly or an assembly with a part that is complicated. My "fix" (if you want to call it that) is:

While in X-Sec view, right click on any part in the model tree (honestly, any part) and click on "Edit Definition...". Then immediately click the green arrow (or middle click). It seems to regen the assembly and give the video card a strong pat on on the tush.

As michaelpaul mentioned, it's possible that I'm ignoring a larger issue, but I haven't seen a problem with my "fix" and I've been doing it for over 3 years now in WF4. Hope that helps.

Hello neilb - here are some thoughts (not sure if you are new to Pro-E or have used it for a while since this is your first post here)
1. Is the part solid? when viewed in hidden line mode is the part yellow and magenta (if so it is not solid, it is just surfaces)?
2. Change your accuracy to absolute and change to lower end (say .001).
3. Is it a sketched section? If so, are you sketching thru a small corner of a feature? Pro-E does not like that.

Could you post a picture of this "hollow" sketch for us to view....A picture is worth a thousand words. That may give us more info to help you out.

Hope this helps.

Hey krow22,

So I am useing Creo 2, been on Pro-E over 20 years.

Would love to post a pix but now all sections are normal in that the sections no longer appear hollow! Have no clue as to why Pro will do this at times then revert back.

All parts are solid geom so no surface models!

If Pro does it again I will post a pix!

Thanks everyone!

Hey krow22,

So I am useing Creo 2, been on Pro-E over 20 years.

Would love to post a pix but now all sections are normal in that the sections no longer appear hollow! Have no clue as to why Pro will do this at times then revert back.

All parts are solid geom so no surface models!

If Pro does it again I will post a pix!

Thanks everyone!

OK it has started again!

Attachments

• pix1.JPG
    pix1.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 30
not sure if there's a setting that changes this globally, but usually when a section appears hollow it is due to a geometry error in the solid.[...] to isolate which feature is causing the problem, start at the top of the model and just start scrolling down a couple features at a time while the section is active and eventually you can find the feature that is blowing up the section.

exactly, such things like hollow part in X-sec view come from intersection between parts, when they interfere between each other, which can(not must) result in tiny edges, manifolds and so forth.

So isolating the components is the right way to find the cause of the problem. Prior would be wise to perform Global interference check

Interference causes it. But if you edit definition on the cross section, then just hit the green check it goes away.

If any of the geometry has "geometry checks" I would start by fixing those. Make sure there are no hidden geom checks. This can happen is you are working in a group or someone on the project is trying to move on without the hassle of making the models proper. I you have imported geometry I would open the part individually and make sure the part is water tight and solidified. (step of iges imports) Accuracy change will help if there is some "almost good" geometry. If the model is large start by chopping it into sub assemblies and work on the bits and pices without the whole thing loaded assuming your workstation is a bit resource limited. Check the video card on the PTC website and make sure it is approved. Make sure you're not using a budget card. This does not look that complex by the pic and I have never had this issue with interfering geometry before. I do get the cross section not updating if I change the contents of the assembly. in this case I need turn off x-sections and then turn back on with the view manager. Usually all good once I do this.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back