Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Model Tree

dr_gallup

I've moved to a new workstation with a dual monitor setup. I have heard of people using the model tree in a separate window on the second monitor. Is this possible in WF4 or only in newer releases? I've searched the help but can't find anything in WF4.

So, from your other posts, I feel like you may know this already. But, at risk of telling you what you already know, if you enable this in your config.pro, you can get your model tree in a separate window. I've always had issues with Pro/E wanting to set a "default" monitor so all new dialog windows will open on that monitor (distance measurements, constraints, references, etc.). And that's in WF4...

enable_tree_indep yes

On first glance it's not nearly as useful as i expected it to be. I thought the entire window functionality (file system navigation, layers, web browser plus model tree) would be moved to the new window. Instead only the model tree functionality moves to the new window, everything else stays on the main Pro/E window. I can see some uses, I know some people show all kinds of stuff in the model tree. I have always kept it small because it competed with the graphics screen. And the layers/file system can be collapsed. But my mapkey for resizing the model tree columns no longer works and the layers icon is greyed out so this seems like a typical PTC 50% solution.

Re: Model Tree Window

My preference is to have the layer tree showing on the left side of the left monitor and the Model tree and the Mapkey window showing on the right monitor.
That way, I can click on everything I need to without compromising the main screen of Pro/E.
It also means I can have the Model Tree quite large, showing columns for Regen status, Mass, Feature id and feature #. Makes life easier for fault finding failed models.
In addition, I don't need to remember my mapkey sequences (tricky for the infrequently used ones), I can simply double-click the appropriate one in the Mapkey window.

Give it a try, you might like it; or you might come up with a better idea, in which case, let me know...

Cheers,

John

On first glance it's not nearly as useful as i expected it to be. I thought the entire window functionality (file system navigation, layers, web browser plus model tree) would be moved to the new window. Instead only the model tree functionality moves to the new window, everything else stays on the main Pro/E window. I can see some uses, I know some people show all kinds of stuff in the model tree. I have always kept it small because it competed with the graphics screen. And the layers/file system can be collapsed. But my mapkey for resizing the model tree columns no longer works and the layers icon is greyed out so this seems like a typical PTC 50% solution.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back