Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to cut away a part of a circle

stevenmw

I am brand new to Solidworks, and brand new to these forums. if I am in the wrong place please let me know.

I have a 3D shape. It is a rectangle with angles on all four edges making it an octagon. There is one face and sides. The back face has been cut away.

I've got a plane spaced out in front of my face with a circle on it, and I am going to use the Lofted Boss / Bass from my rectangle face to the circle giving the face a curved surface up to the circle. Much like the top of a water bottle.

I only want the sides of the circle. The top and bottom of the circle go beyond the rectangle. I want to cut away the pieces of the circle on the top and bottom that go beyond the rectangle. That way there will be a lofted boss up to my circle sides and the top and bottom edges will remain straight.

How can I remove the pieces of the circle?

There are many ways to do this in SolidWorks as usual. Here are a few

I have a 3D shape. It is a rectangle with angles on all four edges making it an octagon. There is one face and sides.
The back face has been cut away.

I've got a plane spaced out in front of my face with a circle on it.
I am going to use the Lofted Boss / Bass from my rectangle face to the circle giving the face a curved surface up to the circle.
Much like the top of a water bottle.

I only want the sides of the circle. The top and bottom of the circle go beyond the rectangle.
I want to cut away the pieces of the circle on the top and bottom that go beyond the rectangle.

Steven,

You can use the split entities command to divide your circle into 4 sections, typically on lofts it helps to have
the same number of entities in each loft profile's curve sketch but this is not a requirement.
Once the circle is split you can delete the top and bottom sections or turn them into construction geometry like a centerline.

Another tool you can use is convert entities which will project the linear edges or entire face boundaries onto your current sketch for referencing.
The projected entities will have/show an on edge constraint to keep them updated during part modifications.

The other useful sketch tool is Trim. If you haven't been prompted already you will be asked whether to show all trim options other than dynamic trim default.
I suggest you answer yes to the prompt to the most options. Power Trim which is the default and what gets used if you answer no to display all options for trim,
allows you to click and drag back or extend what you click on and can be used to trim corner or extend.
While Trim is active you can right click to swap between Trim & Extend.

Michael

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back