Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Busting up a sub-assembly

herb

I have an assembly that contains a sub-assembly and several parts.
I have decided that now I do not want the sub-assembly, just all the parts contained in the sub-assembly.
Is there a way to "unassemble" or "ungroup" all the parts in the sub-assembly and still keep them all in the main assembly?

Creo 2.0 M050

Thanks,
Herb Spaulding
Miller Industries

It's called restructure. I have not used it in Creo yet, use the menu search to find it. At least in WF, you have to restructure one part at a time. Once you move (restructure) all the parts out of the subassembly then you can delete the subassembly.

AS of WF5 maybe you can restructure more than one at a time. I believe in Creo 2 you can drag and drop in the tree.

Use top down design to create your parts and assemblies going forward.

Also, if you have AAX then you should attach parts to skeletons and not each other. Then you can pull parts in and out of assemblies at will, drag their order around in the model tree etc. It is best practice to never have a part or assembly directly reference another part or assembly. If you do not have AAX then create a master part that contains only datums, curves and shared surfaces and tie your parts to that.

That way (as in skeleton modeling in AAX) you know right where to go to make updates, and control the assembly. Otherwise how do you know if the wheel referenced the axle or the axle referenced the wheel for example.

Create a surface cylinder, curves or some other datum structure and have the wheel and the axle geometry and/or position driven by that.

Once you get the hang of it you will wonder why they teach bottom up design. (Assembling parts to and around each other.)

Every time I have to work with a bottom up assembly, the first order of business is to tear it down and hang it on a skeleton instead. The time spent always pays itself back.

That's fine if you don't do much model reuse. We are constantly putting (decades) old parts in new assemblies. The parts need to be robust and stand on their own. Top down design could cause massive instabilities.

Top down design is NOT always the best way to model assemblies. Both methods have their places.
To create a skeleton and assemble all the parts to that can take longer than bottom-up and time is something we have little of.
If you create a top down and then try to subsequently change a part that you do not know what assembly it was created in, you have a big problem...

Creating parts in assemblies is still bottom up.

If you take advantage of AAX you can turn off dependency for all of your copied geom.

If you have a problem with that geometry later, you can simply replace it with something else and reroute.

The point is to not have any, none, nada circular references.

Parts referencing parts or assemblies (that cannot be opened on their own) is bad practice.

I didn't even want to bring it up because I always get blowback like this. All of my parts and assemblies stand on their own. You can pull any part out or replace it at any time. You can slide them around in the model tree. You can send any part to a vendor without having to send any accompanying data. You wanna talk about saving time? I got that on lock.

Hi dr_gallup,

I have two clarifications on the RESTRUCTURE command. And i hope you are the best person to ask about this.

1) I cant move the parts from sub-assembly to main assembly which one is driven by family table.
2)After moved the parts from sub-assembly to main assembly , still the moved parts have the mate references from the sub-assembly.how can i remove that reference from the sub assembly?

Is there any better ways to fix these issues!?! looking for your reply.

Thanks.

Promouser,
Is there a way to turn of dependance / copy geoms in one action for all the parts? mapkey?
I have been using AAX/inheritance and pub geom and copy geom.

Chris

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back