Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

FMX Flexible Modeling Extension

cklem

Hi All,

Has anyone used the flexible modeling extension for Creo 2.0? I work for a manufacturing company where most of our files come in as .iges or .step files. We also have several customers using Solidworks. From what I have read you can open native Solidworks files with this extension. My main concern is how well does it work? We are in the thermoformed plastics industry so we deal with a lot of complex surfaces and I was wondering how much easier it was to modify surfaces with this extension versus without.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Chris

I do really doubt you can retrive SW files directly in Creo without extra plug in installed at first. Even though you have this already done, SW package is a must.

I played with FMX a little bit, frankly speaking: good piece of software. I rarely change STEP files or rebuild such geometry, but it was enough to take a fancy to FMX

I was using the 30 day trial last month.
You can not open native Solidworks files.
Although I saw that PTC has got some vague plans for native CAD data that they just recently announced at PTC-fest.

FMX is much better at importing IGES & STEP than the base Creo. Very smooth.
It does a decent job of editing simple data.
I work with a lot of plastic designs with draft & fillets & other optimizations. If those features are in your imported data then forget editing it.
The same problems encountered with Offset>Replace or Edit>Remove - it can't move or edit surfaces that are tied down by tangencies or other similar constraints.

PTC Creo parametric 2.0 can import native Solidworks files. You have to install solidworks or solidworks explorer on the same PC before if is working. Note both Creo parametric and Solidworks must be same architrecture: 32 bit or 64 bit.

Regards
Johannes von Zastrow
Channel Technical Manager Nordic
PTC Denmark

PTC Creo parametric 2.0 can import native Solidworks files. You have to install solidworks or solidworks explorer on the same PC before if is working. Note both Creo parametric and Solidworks must be same architrecture: 32 bit or 64 bit.

Regards
Johannes von Zastrow
Channel Technical Manager Nordic
PTC Denmark

I'd love to know how. I have both Creo2 and Solidworks 2013 on the same machine. Creo2 will not do a file open - there is no option for solidworks files and when set to all files it does not see them. I can not drag and drop a file from windows explorer into Creo2 either. Creo2 will not import geometry from a Solidsworks file either.

What special smoke and mirrors does it take to open a Solidworks file in Creo2?

I've got another machine with SW12, I'll give it a try. Looks like a lot of configuring and smoke and mirrors. I will be very interested in the final result. I'm not holding my breath.

Looks like a lot of configuring and smoke and mirrors.
If you get smoke, you will need a new workstation :D
All you have to do is to have Creo parametric 2.0 and Solidworks 2012 or Solidworks explorer 2012 installed on same machine.

If you get smoke, you will need a new workstation :D
All you have to do is to have Creo parametric 2.0 and Solidworks 2012 or Solidworks explorer 2012 installed on same machine.

And watch/read a half dozen videos and web pages, download some kind of plugin and set some config settings and and and. Why can't they just make it work out of the box?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back