Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

EMN/EMP file generation from Mentor (multiple heights)

markkraz

Hey folks. We do MCAD/ECAD back and forth between the ME and PCB Layout teams and there's a specific part that would be great to see as multiple heights on MCAD import into Pro/E. What I mean is the part itself looks a bit like a set of stairs going up away from the board. I've never seen an EMP generated part created that's anything besides a simple box or a cylinder. Does anyone know if that's even possible? In the component library in Mentor there are 3 heights set in the placement outline, but only the tallest one is coming through. I know it's an export issue since the EMP file only has one height assigned.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Absolutely. You need to set up an ecad_hint.map file. What this does is it maps your ecad parts to your mcad parts.

Something like this ought to be fine. Put it in a text file called ecad_hint.map in your working directory along with a model of your steps. Make sure the co-ordinate systems match: X and Y for the component base and Z pointing up. Change the variables MENTOR_EXPORT_NAME and PROE_PART_NAME. The asterisk in ECAD_ALT_NAME means to ignore that value. Change it if you want it matching.

map_objects_by_name->
ECAD_NAME "MENTOR_EXPORT_NAME"
ECAD_ALT_NAME "*"
ECAD_TYPE ""
MCAD_NAME "PROE_PART_NAME"
MCAD_TYPE "PART"
MCAD_LAYER "ECAD"
END
#

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back