Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PDM Essentials - Basic Server Requirements

mdristy

Hello, I am planning on implementing PTC's PDM Essentials at my very small engineering consulting business. What is the most basic Microsoft OS based Server hardware and software I would need to support this PDM solution very well? I would have two or three CREO users. Thanks, Mark

(I've been using Pro/E WF4 with Intralink 3.4, but now I am finally migrating to CREO 2.0 with PDM Essentials...)

p.s. Also, how does PDM Essentials differ from PDMLink?

PTC Windchill PDM Essentials is deployed on a single physical or virtual machine
on which Windows Server 2008 R2 is installed.
Note
Multi-core processors on a single physical or virtual machine eliminate the
necessity for multiple machines in order to support up to 25 active CAD users and
up to 200 active web browser users. For this reason, there is no provision for
supporting a multi-machine deployment.

Server Harrdwarre Requiirrementts

• 12GB of available RAM (16 with concurrent server-side publishing)
• 2 processors (4 recommended)
• 50 GB of disk space for software components
• Disk space for file content (CAD documents and documents, such as Microsoft Word or text documents). Use the following steps to calculate required disk space:
1. Estimate current total file space used for CAD and office files
2. Estimate rate of growth over 3-5 years (for example, 30% per year)
3. Compute estimated total needs over 5 years. Disk space = [(Current file content) + (.3/year*Current file content)*(5years)]. Ensure that the media used for backups can also accommodate the projected growth.
• The server name cannot include an underscore (for example, PDM_Essentials_Server). Rename the server, removing underscores, if necessary.

Server Soffttwarre Requiirrementts
• Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit
• Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 7, Update 5 or later

Regards
Johannes von Zastrow
Channel Technical Manager Nordic
PTC

Hello Johannes,

Thank you for the excerpt from the Getting Started Guide. I am also a small shop, moving up from Pro-E and shopping for the right vendor to implement PDM Essentials. There is one thing that confuses me. As this is an SQL Server application, my understanding of SQL is that the application must be separated from the database onto separate servers. In a virtual environment, of course, the two virtual servers would be on one physical server, but in a physical hardware environment with no virtualization, you should need two physical servers, and I'm actually being quoted three so that there can be a separate testing/training environment. Yet the Getting Started Guide suggests one physical server.

I would also love to get some feedback from anyone who has seen a variety of implementations as to whether the extra cost of going with physical hardware vs. virtual servers is justified by increased performance, easier maintenance or any other factors.

Best regards,

Scott Fine
CeQur Corporation

PTC Windchill PDM Essentials is deployed on a single physical or virtual machine
on which Windows Server 2008 R2 is installed.
Note
Multi-core processors on a single physical or virtual machine eliminate the
necessity for multiple machines in order to support up to 25 active CAD users and
up to 200 active web browser users. For this reason, there is no provision for
supporting a multi-machine deployment.

Server Hardware Requirements

• 12GB of available RAM (16 with concurrent server-side publishing)
• 2 processors (4 recommended)
• 50 GB of disk space for software components
• Disk space for file content (CAD documents and documents, such as Microsoft Word or text documents). Use the following steps to calculate required disk space:
1. Estimate current total file space used for CAD and office files
2. Estimate rate of growth over 3-5 years (for example, 30% per year)
3. Compute estimated total needs over 5 years. Disk space = [(Current file content) + (.3/year*Current file content)*(5years)]. Ensure that the media used for backups can also accommodate the projected growth.
• The server name cannot include an underscore (for example, PDM_Essentials_Server). Rename the server, removing underscores, if necessary.

Server Software Requirements
• Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit
• Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 7, Update 5 or later

Regards
Johannes von Zastrow
PTC[/QUOTE]

Hi Scott

No. All must be installed on a single server - Physical or virtual.

Regards
Johannes von Zastrow

Hi
Can anybody tell me the procedure to configure product view for Creo 2.0 with PDM essential or share the configuration guide which comes with installation package? How to configure PDM essential with Auto CAD workgroup manager?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back