Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running Creo on the "Cloud" or one big server

Hi Everyone,

Our IT department is looking for us to move away from using individual workstations. Currently we use PTC certified HP laptops. We have mutliple plants, and we access our data back to single server back to the main plant via the internet. Some files can take forever to open, if the open a all.

We do not have Windchill, PLM or other PDM software.

There are a lot of proposed solutions on the table right now.

The latest proposal would be to create one superpowerful central server complete with all the ram, processing power, and graphics needed to run 4-6 seats of creo. Then we would remote desktop in, and run Creo on the same server where our data is stored. Then we could run creo from any computer, and we would only need the internet speed to control the remote server and display the graphics.

Is anyone doing this? How does it work? Can you run multiple seats of Creo on one machine? How is the ram shared?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Matt

Remote desktop for cad work? Using "office" software on remote desktop connections (in Windows) is fine because most of the graphics work is done on the local machine, so you don't need a super fast connection like with screen sharing applications, but I don't know if OpenGL or Direct3D calls can be redirected through remote desktop, and even if they can, you'll still need a powerful graphics card on your local machine. Other than that, some software doesn't work well, or simply dosen't work at all in remote desktop (like Mathacad that worked in remote desktop until Mathacad 13 and stopped since mathcad 15)

I don't have experience using remote desktop with Creo, but in Mathcad the experience is not very good: remote desktop session don't allow font anti-aliasing under WinXP so you'll have jaggy fonts (not very good if you have to code all day), some copy/paste operations don't work, all the software for ole or dde embedding (like putting an excel sheet inside a mathcad document) needs to be installed on the server, graphics are slow in 3D (ehm...) and sometimes everything behaves strangely (scroll wheel locks and other annoyances)

Paolo

I have two offices and two workstations. Occasionally I have left a Pro/E session up on one workstation then used remote desktop to connect form the other workstation to finish up or close it out. Yes it works. The response time is poor, zooms and rotations are very jerky. I could not stand to do this on a permanent basis. This is with a 100 Mb hard wired connection. If you are using WiFi for your laptop networking that is your problem. It will be much worse trying to constantly send all the graphics data over a slow connection than just sending the file data one time. Ohh, I just saw you are going over some kind of internet connection to get your data. That would completely die trying to run remote desktop.

The multiple sessions of Pro/E on one machine is no problem, you can do that right now. Each session will use all the memory that running on one machine would use. Each session will be completely separate from the other sessions, they will share nothing.
    PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

Remote desktop would not be a good solution. You should use a solution that are designed for high graphic. Some years ago I did look at solutions but because of other important project it did not complete. Solution we was looking at was:
    http://www.citrix.com/content/dam/ci...bcasestudy.pdf
    I remember that vmware and dell also did had a solution but I do not remember the names.
    Regards

Johannes von Zastrow
    Channel Technical Manager Nordic
    PTC

Creo + Remote Desktop Connection = Bad Idea

Unless you have Google Fiber!

Quote Originally Posted by jnoval View Post
    Remote desktop would not be a good solution. You should use a solution that are designed for high graphic. Some years ago I did look at solutions but because of other important project it did not complete. Solution we was looking at was:
    I remember that vmware and dell also did had a solution but I do not remember the names.
    I assume that is some accelerated/improved/high end version of Citrix as we have Citrix for all our PC's on the shop floor and standard Office applications are dog slow.
    PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    I assume that is some accelerated/improved/high end version of Citrix as we have Citrix for all our PC's on the shop floor and standard Office applications are dog slow.
    Yes it is. It can also be used with special thin clients designed for high graphic usage.
    Regards

Johannes von Zastrow
    Channel Technical Manager Nordic
    PTC

Quote Originally Posted by TMPENG View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Our IT department is looking for us to move away from using individual workstations. Currently we use PTC certified HP laptops. We have mutliple plants, and we access our data back to single server back to the main plant via the internet. Some files can take forever to open, if the open a all.

We do not have Windchill, PLM or other PDM software.

There are a lot of proposed solutions on the table right now.

The latest proposal would be to create one superpowerful central server complete with all the ram, processing power, and graphics needed to run 4-6 seats of creo. Then we would remote desktop in, and run Creo on the same server where our data is stored. Then we could run creo from any computer, and we would only need the internet speed to control the remote server and display the graphics.

Is anyone doing this? How does it work? Can you run multiple seats of Creo on one machine? How is the ram shared?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Matt
    Has your company explored blade workstations? This is a server based solution that allows a user to seamlessly work on a workstation, and if an issue arises, the server pushes the user to a different workstation and the user can continue without interruption. The user logs in remotely and only keyboard, mouse and display data is transferred. I had a chance to demo a setup and it had potential.

The benefit to this solution is that all machines are centrally located and have the same hardware. They can be upgraded at any time, even without user interruption (if additional machine are available). They can be accessed from anywhere (provided the permissions are granted by the network) with a seamless user experience.

NVIDIA Grid

Quote Originally Posted by jnoval View Post
    At work citrix has been used for some simple task with some success ( task like making stp files for mfg.) I do not advise using it for any thing other than simple task on citrix though.

Keep us post on which option you go with.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast