Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by zpaolo View Post
    Remote desktop for cad work? Using "office" software on remote desktop connections (in Windows) is fine because most of the graphics work is done on the local machine, so you don't need a super fast connection like with screen sharing applications, but I don't know if OpenGL or Direct3D calls can be redirected through remote desktop, and even if they can, you'll still need a powerful graphics card on your local machine. Other than that, some software doesn't work well, or simply dosen't work at all in remote desktop (like Mathacad that worked in remote desktop until Mathacad 13 and stopped since mathcad 15)

I don't have experience using remote desktop with Creo, but in Mathcad the experience is not very good: remote desktop session don't allow font anti-aliasing under WinXP so you'll have jaggy fonts (not very good if you have to code all day), some copy/paste operations don't work, all the software for ole or dde embedding (like putting an excel sheet inside a mathcad document) needs to be installed on the server, graphics are slow in 3D (ehm...) and sometimes everything behaves strangely (scroll wheel locks and other annoyances)

Paolo
    When remoting, the graphics work is not done on the local machine, it is done on the host.
    We use remote desktop all the time when we need to show a client a model via GoToMeeting. The computer that it is displayed on has a cheap graphics card, a minimal amount of RAM and the performance is acceptable. We are doing it over a local network, not the internet. Your results may vary.

Since you use HP hardware, HP developed a "proprietary" remote desktop system for workstations. Basically it's an optimized compression algorithm to compress and send the video on a high speed network. It should be better than traditional remote desktop (that doesn't support acceleration) or other screen sharing options like Teamviewer (not optimized).

There are other ways to have "desktop on demand" but I can't recollect who was doing them

Hey guys, this thread is over two years old and you're still giving the guy advice. He left this thread a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dross View Post
    Hey guys, this thread is over two years old and you're still giving the guy advice. He left this thread a long time ago.
    LOL, someone answered and I thought it was a new thread, I even found an old reply from myself BTW in my experience when remote desktop is enabled graphics acceleration is disabled on the host, so yes you don't use the local machine but the host, yet in remote desktop the host can't enable 3D acceleration.

GotoMeeting is not "Remote Desktop" as intended in Windows, is a screen sharing tool like Teamviewer, that's why it works but you need a fast connection

I am using Go To Meeting WITH remote desktop.
    So Creo and GoToMeeting is running on the host, remote desktop is on the slave. The graphics work is done on the host, our slave has minimal graphics capability and RAM.
    The GoToMeeting portion of this is running over the internet (we have a t1 connection although our download speed is only 5 megabits) in that it is being shared with our clients (sometimes overseas) with acceptable latency times.

Running Creo on the "Cloud" or one big server

What a headache. Why dont you all centralize the server-related posts into one section of the dys forums?

Running Creo on the "Cloud" or one big server

What a headache. Why dont you all centralize the server-related posts into one section of the dys forums?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12