Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Unexplained collision with 4th axis and roughing.

ckirchen

I'm working on blowmold, specifically cutting the feature that makes the (SP400) threads for the lid in the molded part.

The block is mounted to our 4th axis so that we can generate clearance for the tool (which is a .02" ball mill).

I'm using roughing sequences with the rotary positioned at +45°, +22.5°, 0°, -22.5°, and -45°. Two of the sequences, the ones at +22.5° and -22.5° are not doing what they should; they cut much deeper than they are supposed to. The attached picture shows a correct sequence (at +45°) and one incorrect sequence (at +22.5°).

MFG_AUTO_REF_PRT_AS_CHK_SURF and CHK_PART_SURFS_PROFPOCK are both yes, but I don't think they apply to roughing sequences.

I've tried changing the angle of the rotary (i.e. 20°/22°/23°/25° instead of 22.5°), but the result was the same.

I thought that my mill window might be a problem, because two edges of the window were made from the edges of the thread (and those edges were splines), so I changed the window to a simple rectangle, but, again, the result was the same.

There is a similar groove feature, just to the left of the thread, that works just fine.

The block has been in the machine for the last 4 days, waiting for this one remaining feature...any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• collision.jpg
    collision.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 33
Looks like there are no Manufacturing users here on the forum, your last 3 posts have remained unanswered, you can try PTC's Community forum as well, i think there are more manufacturing users there. hopefully you get an answer finally.

Hey solidworm,

Thanks for the pointer. I've posted all three messages to the PTC forum, so hopefully there's more traffic.

Hi CK, I've had something like this before.... can you re-create just the problem area using only part of your work and post it here (this way you don't have to share your whole information)? Or if you prefer you can send it to me directly: pacanow_at_shaw_dot_ca

Yeah, this forum is quite dead. Too bad.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the offer. I managed to get it to work late last night.

It turned out that the issue was with the mill window and the spline edges of the thread. In frustration, I started from scratch and drew a very large rectangular mill window around the geometry (instead of the window that was created with the edges of the threads). When it worked, I reduced the size of the rectangle until it failed. I don't know if it is a consistent requirement, but in this case, when any portion of the vertical edges of the window is less than .01" away from the vertical spline edges of the thread feature, it would fail.

The weird thing is that I had three other windows on the same feature, constructed the same way, albeit at different orientations of the rotary, and they all worked on the first try.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back